Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ECU mounting under dash

bobt

Hello peebs

Having carefully made up and fitted my own carbon horizonal and vertical engine bay bulk head panels I would like the area to remain clear (with exception of the battery).

I've never really been happy with the Emerald sitting on the engine side of the bulkhead exposed to all the elements and heat so I'd like to move it under the scuttle (together with relay box) I'm sure others must have done this before and I would be interested in seeing some pics/weblinks of your installation.

Can anybody help?

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob,

I've done this, the Emerald in my car is mounted on the inside of the dash. It's on the bulkhead in front of the gear stick under the scuttle.

It's a little tricky to take photos as it's quite tucked away but I'll see what I can do at the weekend.

Cheers

Rob G

On my S3 build, my chief wrench Nathan Down (ex-CC engineer) made a panel of aluminum, mounted the ECU and MFU and speedo translator on it, and mounted it on a piano hinge to the underside of the passenger footwell. it is secured by two slot-head bolts at the forward edge. It is protected, out of the way, and yet easily accessible.

IMHO, this is the way CC should do it from the factory.

Alaskossie

I shoved my Emerald up under the scuttle, vertically, alongside the fusebox, sort of behind the wiper motor. Easily accessible and out of the immediate heat and damp of the under bonnet location.

I would take/send some piccies but I'm in Sao Paulo and the car currently isn't . . .

Remind me after the weekend when the car and I should be in the same country . . maybe .. .

Bri

Honest answer is I have no idea. However I doubt it'll effect MOT as there are plenty of cars out there who have done this. Some 7 style cars (westfield) have this area formed as part of the fibreglass bodywork. There are also plenty of none seven high-end cars driving about made of the stuff. If it's good enough for them....

Edited by - bobt on 18 Feb 2010 13:39:35

Yep - but only because I needed to anyway - a modified version of EU3 to Emerald convertor. Passes through a grommet in a split plate in a new hole in the bulkhead alongside the heater - large hole allows the EU2 Emerald plug through. The split plates close the hole down to sensible grommet size.

Simply plate on the old mounts under the bonnet to secure the connectors.

Bri