Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Paint Spraying my 7

PAC

My wings have cracks and chips, and the bare ally looks nicely aged (OK dull!!) *rolleyes*.

So I'm thinking it might be time to paint it.

I've sprayed cars in the past -in the good old celulose days, but am not sure of the latest technology.

I'm aware 2pack needs proper breathin app. so is acyrlic the only home alternative?

I assume I'll need to etch prime the ally(?)

If anyone can point me in the direction of a source of info, it would be most helpful.

Thanks

That is impressive! *thumbup*

I don't have a big enough compressor to spray yet, so this technique is very appealing!

Skydragon, did you find the thin ally panels i.e. bonnet, difficult to rub down, or did you go straight to polish?

Please pardon my slight thread hijack. Skydragon, could you tell me which rollcage that is in the first picture of your car. The one with the curved hoops and windscreen on? I have a 2000 dedion superlight and wonder if that would fit my car.

Sorry Guys, Thanks

Back on topic, I used the rustoleum method to repaint my repaired rear wing and It looks fine. Just takes a little time and effort. My local hardware store matched my paint colour nicely.

Tom

I got tired of cowering under the old existing (2003 cross bar type) roll cage and not getting enough head clearance to meet MSA rules, or risking a head battering when on the road without helmet, unless I used a foam seat.

As an aside...It seems a little daft to me that the Caterham roll cage was designed with being able to still fit the caterham soft hood on, in mind, rather than tall drivers safety...but hey ho.

So... i called 'Caged' the roll cage suppliers and got them to make a new standard Roadsport roll cage but with the cage 7cm higher at the back. 3 weeks later and £570 inc VAT and delivery to my door, job done. Sold old cage for £225, so not a bad end result.

If you have a Superlight, then I think you will need a Superlight cage (still made by Caged), rather than a Roadsport cage as the fitting points are differenet i think... perhaps those with more knowledge on Supelights can help (I suggest opening a new thread).

HTH

Chris.

Back on Thread... *biggrin*

Chris,

Did you flatten back the colour layers before the final clear coat ? or did you leave the final colour layer as sprayed then clear then polished and t-cut ?

Cheers

Jonathan

My Flickr

-----------------------------------

This rebuild has started :)

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow.

Did you flatten back the colour layers before the final clear coat ?
yes, I didn't put too much effort into it, but did give it a basic flattening down with various grades of wet and dry, followed by a wipe over with a tack cloth.

After letting the lacquer dry for a week, I cut back with various grades of wet and dry, then T-cut, then after a few weeks further hardening i polished/waxed.

Just a word of caution to anyone who is thinking of spraypainting their car.

I know someone who has used paints containing isocyanantes and not taken the correct precautions re breathing aparatus, and the poor chap has been in hospital for almost 6 moths now suffering from acute emhysema, basically his lungs are totally screwed up.

Now obviously this was not caused by spraying one car, but all the same please be carefull!