Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best socket sets...

Steve Campbell

Just a quick one..is the Halfords Professional range still viewed as the best quality/value for money socket set ? I see the 150 piece is £99.99.

Looking for a Xmas present of new set so wondered what the current wisdom is.

I've managed for ages with a crappy Argos set I had for years but the ratchet is knackered and I'm fed up of skinning my knuckles 😬

Best set - Snap-on without a doubt. big bucks!!!

Best value is not so easy. In the old days I would have said Britool but now who knows?. Halfords represent good value for money under normal home garage use but I'm not so sure working mechanics would rely on their products.

Edited by - Phil G on 11 Nov 2009 22:20:00

Edited by - Phil G on 12 Nov 2009 18:30:11

Or better still Facom (Machine Mart carry a limited range) - always preferred the Facom range as the ergonomics of the tools and fine ratchet along with surface drive sockets - IMHO these make Snap On look like the typical US car, big heavy and crude. *rolleyes*

Snap On do make some nice kit which has found it's way into my tool box though

For infrequent use though the Halfords Pro range is very hard to beat, I have quite a few of these bits and I've yet to see any fail *thumbup*.

Too young to be old !

Or better still Facom (Machine Mart carry a limited range) - always preferred the Facom range as the ergonomics of the tools and fine ratchet along with surface drive sockets

Agree . . Facom is lovely stuff 🥰

In spite of having a pretty substantial tool collection, I still mostly use my Halfords 150 piece set (supplemented with a couple of extras like the Caterham imperial allen keys you need). You can do most jobs on a Caterham with this kit *thumbup*

Halfords will do fine.

When you break he ratchet, get one of the Facom ones, which is a top bit of kit.

I use the Facom surface drive six point sckets, with a facom72 tooth ratchet, and it works well,especially on the hard to shift nuts. No more rounded corners - just sheared fasteners! *eek*

Technically, the lifetime guarantee doesn't apply to ratchets. However, I got mine replaced when it jammed without any questions.

I also got a spanner replaced FOC when I lost it. Now THAT'S an impressive guarantee! (Would never have occurred to me to ask, but it's one of the double-ended ratchet spanners which they don't seem to do as individual items).

The best thing about the Halfords set, IMO, is that it's all in one place, you can instantly find anything, and you can see if anything's not been put back (which has often saved me from driving off with spanners on my scuttle or engine block). I always use it in preference to my motley collection of assorted Snapon, Facom and Britool stuff.

I found the Halfords tool kit to be very good value for money. Ratchets aren't covered under the lifetime guarantee, but a replacement mechanism for my 1/2" ratchet when it seized up/wore out was only £3 or so with a trade card.

Only thing is that I've broken my plastic case so I have to lug everything around with a bungee cord holding it all together. And I'm not paying £40 for a new case from a seller on eBay who is cashing in on the whole kits being £100. *nono*

I've asked about it a couple of times. I think it depends on who you ask and how helpfuly they are feeling to be honest! My case is an old-style one and I'd probably take twice as long to do a job because all the tools will be in different places if I got a new case!

I put my sockets on rails and built up a trackday/roadside toolkit. It's stored in one of these.

The beauty of this is that it fits like a glove between the two rear fixings of the roll bar. The bolts have to be turned around so that the nuts are on the outside. One luggage strap wrapped around the brackets for the roll bar holds it in absolutely rigidly. It bulges a tiny bit on the boot lid but not enough to hinder closing etc.