Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Floor mounted pedals.

Mickrick

Make more sense to me ergonomically. Anyone fitted them in thier Seven?

I mean, look at the state of these!

How the hell am I supposed to drive the thing like that!

I'd like to rip the lot out, pedal box and all, and put somthing else in, including dual master cylinders with an adjustable bias bar. Any thoughts/sugestions?

Mick

There are bottom hinged pedal sets available from a company called Tilton. There are some examples in the Demon Tweeks catalogue or I'm sure T have a website.

Provided you could package them in the space available and get some structure into the lower plane of the 7's spaceframe to mount them on, I'm sure it could be done. Big job tho.

P

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

FCITW 2009 😬

I looked at buying a 7 (SV) with floor mounted pedals once, however, I didn't go ahead as they reduced the legroom significantly and I couldn't get them far enough away to drive it (they were on a neat sliding 'track' on the strengthened floor).

Just bear that in mind if you need the length 😳 *wink*

Ian - Slightly Vider SVelte SuperVeloce model 😬 - Joint AR for North Kent

Thanks p *thumbup* Something like that in billet would be nice. And a footrest to the left of the clutch pedal. *wink* As you say not easy to package. (Easier in my Fat Boy model though! *cool*) I think the pedals wouldn't be a problem, but the master cylinders maybe.

Picking my chassis up in a couple of weeks. I'll have to get my tape measure out, and start scribbling on beer mats. 😬

It's beem done then Ian. But not very well from the sound of it. I recon the whole footwell box would need modding. It would certainly have to come out to strengthen the mounting area.

Edited by - Mickrick on 23 Oct 2009 21:25:28

Don't get me wrong Mick, it was very well done.

Chassis modified by Arch, pedalbox completely removed/redesigned, really good looking pedals, and a really neat sliding mechanism (as the owners wife was a lot shorter so he wanted quick and easy pedal adjustment).

it's just the room that was taken up by the pedal mechanism, and pedal hydraulics (they didn't use the standard cables) was too much for my long legs to fit!

The original owner (and wife) fitted fine I think.

A few snaps of it here *wink*

Any thoughts/sugestions?

Yes . . . you're going to have enough trouble making your car so forget about floor mounted pedals.

They will be expensive to buy and a real pain to fit. And at the end of the day, they'll offer no functional advantage over the standard Caterham pedals.

Also, if you have a shunt and slide forward, rather than going below the pedals and pushing the pedal box out, your feet will get tangled up in the floor mounted pedals . . . which will smart a bit.

If you must have dual brake master cylinders and a balance bar, this can be done with the standard pedals (infact, I think Caterham even did a kit for it back in the days).

AP do some nice parts but you had better be sitting down when you look at the price list. The pull box would give you more space here, but you are looking at £2-3000 *eek*depending on spec. Your feet sit on top of the cylinders which are covered with a top plate.

Edited by - Molecular--Bob on 24 Oct 2009 08:43:18

Epimetheus, it's all about the engineering *wink* I don't look at building my car as trouble, the building for me is my therapy. I like problem solving, and anyway, I can't live with those pedals. 😔

MB, very nice! 🥰 That would solve the problem of packaging the cylinders *thumbup*

jonboylaw, can't find them on that link *confused*

I like the AIT-C55/08 here.

My Westie has floor-mounted pedals and I found the feeling rather strange compared to my Caterham. I'm also not sure (far from convinced though) that they're contributing to the ankle-fatigue I get on long trips in the Westie - I must admit that it's far more likely that this is due to the less-than-perfect seating position (too close to the pedals, too far from the wheel - not enough adjustment in seating position to solve...)

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

You need to click on Products/BG Products/BG Pedal Box in Jon's link. It's a neat solution to adding a balance bar and second cylinder to the existing setup, however I'm not sure whether it'd fit if the car was using a hydraulic clutch.

As has been said, I have a feeling that fitting a floor mounted type is going to require some surgery on the footwell and probably the chassis - it's going to need to be directly attached to absorb the loads it's under and prevent flexing of the footwell panels it's mounted against.

Good luck with it

Darren E

K80 RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Edited by - k80rum on 24 Oct 2009 13:18:23

Ian B. The images look like my car (Ex Geoff Northcott aka Miraz). I can vouch for the legroom being ok for me at 6'4'' and also the ease of adjustment. The only issue I have is that there is nowhere for your left foot to go, so you have to rest it on the pedal. I have searched all of the receipts I have for the car, and the pedal box came from a company called Sellholm Tuning AB at a cost of 2,850 somethings (krone perhaps!) plus what looks like some some taxes so the total looks like 4,430. Great quality and hydraulic clutch and as Mickrick has pointed out, cable adjustment for the brakes. All I need is a reliable engine on the end of the throttle and life would be perfect.

Hi Mark,

It was indeed Geoffs car; I wasn't sure who bought it in the end!

I'm only 6'2" but long in the leg, so it wasn't practical for me - shame as it seemed to have had a lot of extras spent on it *thumbup*

Thanks Darren *thumbup* Found it, but I'm thinking more along the lines of replacing the lot. And I will be fitting a hydrualic clutch.

Sigmamark, I found the company who sell the pedalbox you have fitted here Click on "Bromsar", then "Bromsvagar" in the dropdown menu, and they're about halfway down the page.

I like the AP ones, and the ones by AITEC. It looks like the AIT-C55 floor mount, and AIT-C60 top mount are the same components, assembled the other way around. Quite neat being modular like that, as you can adjust the hight, and spacing, or mount them the other way around. A bit cheaper than the AP ones too at €999. Nice billet ally too. *cool*

Sigmamark, how do you find them apart from nowhere to put your left foot? I thought there'd be excess room in the SV footwell. *confused*

Edited by - Mickrick on 24 Oct 2009 19:07:05

Mick

I like the way the pedals work, but then I have always liked floor mounted pedals. Having said that, I haven't driven many 7's anyway, so can't really give a balanced view, but since Geoff built this car pretty much as a race car and since most good race cars have a floor mounted set up, I guess that it almost speaks for itself. Whether I would pay the sort of costs involved to convert to floor mounting, I don't really know, but if you look at the fabrication involved, I genuinely believe that anyone with even modest fabricating and brazing/welding skills could come up with a reliable set up. Fitting them to the car might be a bit tougher, but if you didn't need them to be easily adjustable, bolting them striaght to a reinforced floor wouldn't be too difficult. As for 'excess' room in the footwell, despite only having size 10 feet, believe me there isn't any surplus room on the left of the pedals. This is never a problem when you are using the pedals, but I would imagine that if you were touring, it would become a real pain - quite litterally. Unfortunately, I never get to find out because I keep blowing the motor up every time I go anywhere!

Regards

Mark

Greg

I can't add a link, but since you are considering moving the motor backwards in your car, you must have the fabrication skill to make a pedal box. So with a bit of cutting and welding and given that Christmas is only about 9 weeks away, you could have the answer to all those "what can I get him for Christmas" questions and you could be rich! I am happy to only take 20% for the suggestion *thumbup*

Regards

Mark

Thanks Mark,

To be honest, the price these pedal boxes are for sale, I can make more money doing something else.

I have built a number of race cars over the years and I have often discovered that it would have been cheaper to buy something than spend the time developing it!

I have this idea in my mind to build up a car to participate in a historic event in the Islands where replicas built to the same spec ( more or less.) are acceptable.

I have a 1990 7 with a crossflow that I can't seem to sell. I have just been mulling over ideas to modify it to become more of a clubmans type car for the event.

It is just ideas at the moment.

Greg.

Here's the link.

Thanks for your comments guys. *thumbup* It just makes more sense to me. After all, that's the way your ankle moves. *idea*

The more I go into my build, the more I think I should have bought just a bare chassis! *rolleyes*

The passenger side footbox has to come out for the dry sump tank. The drivers side will probably have to come out now. I can't see a problem tacking some box section in, with tapped holes to accept the pedal box, as there's already chassis bracing under the box anyway.