Click here if you are having website access problems ×

More power

Wil Akroyd

Hi all, advice really needed.

I have a 1.6 k thats had some tweeking at DVA to 155bhp, feeling the need for a bit more power (as you do) so emailed Dave and he reccomended an upgrade to 180bhp with he said would be the limit without putting the pistons at risk... then ha added the estimate.. £2800. Probably a fair price considering the hardware and time, but at a round about £100 per bhp gained I wondered if it would make a significant difference to performance ie £2800 worth? Or is there a better root to go down. If not i'd better get saving! 😬

C7 WEA 1.6K DVA Power

• Area Representative

Will,

Have you considered selling the car and buying a different car that already has more power?

Do you currently have bits like big brakes, LSD, dry sump, wide track, adjustable platforms etc.

I've known a couple of SLR's change hands with all those parts for around the £15k mark.

• Support Team

I guess that £2800 includes Jenvey throttle bodies and an Emerald ECU. Both of these are resusable should you wish to go for even more power at a later date.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Will

after a partial blow up of my 1600 I had Dave modify a new head for me and also put in forged pistons. Could have gone for 1800 but as he had forged pistons and rods for 1600 decided to stay will 1600; it also revs like crazy. As have wide track, nitrons, 6 speed LSD etc did not want to sell car. Results are a good 180 bhp and with 4-2-1 exhaust almost 140 torque, and very tractable. 5000 miles on and very pleased I did it. Lso changed to pprt for cooling and this is a great addition.

Peter

PJ

Hi all, thanks for the responses.

Richard, I understand what your saying, but I can't really sell the car right now, i've put quite a bit of effort and time into it and generally think it is a good car.

Shaun. Good point didn't think of it like that.

Peter, sounds good How much was your upgrade, I have the 4 -2 -1 powerspeed on the car and LSD, so that should save some money!! Think Dave has already done the head aswel.

Would i be better off with dry sump for this upgrade or would my appollo do the job?

Is wide track a worth while upgrade.. heard some people say it doesn't make too much difference? I'm also running 5speed as the cars more of a tourer/ weekend/ occasional track day car

Thanks again!

Wil 😬

C7 WEA 1.6K DVA Power

Edited by - Wil Akroyd on 30 Jul 2009 16:05:27

Have to agree with Richard.

I added up all the go-faster bits I wanted to bolt on to my old 1.6K Academy car, and the bill came to about 6K!

It made much better financial sense to sell the car intact as a balanced package and buy something already equipped with the stuff I wanted.

Of course the other route is to spend your cash on tyres/trackdays/driver tuition.

Better 😬 per £ ratio!

• Area Representative
Would i be better off with dry sump for this upgrade or would my appollo do the job?

Do you already have an apollo? If you're using the car on track, on anything like sticky tyres, then at least an apollo would be wise (it only takes one loss of lubrication around a corner at full chat to trash the bottom end) .

Is wide track a worth while upgrade..

I don't think so. If I thought it would make a difference to my sprint and hillclimb times, then I would have had it years ago!

Does it look nice, and stop the cycle wings rubbing on the indicator pods? Yes!

Is it good value for money? No!

cars more of a tourer/ weekend/ occasional track day car

Six speed gearbox makes the car a lot of fun to drive! (more fun than an additional 25bhp!)

Edited by - Richard Price on 30 Jul 2009 18:35:21

so 6 speeder for £1100 - £1500 would be best/value for money. Would you put a lightened fly wheel in there? i've heard mixed reviews some say makes a big difference some say they don't notice it? Does a 6 speed get annoying on longer runs?

C7 WEA 1.6K DVA Power

• Area Representative
Would you put a lightened fly wheel in there?

Yes! The combination of a lighter flywheel, and the closer ratios, helps quicker gear changes, and makes the car feel livlier.

Does a 6 speed get annoying on longer runs?

4th gear in your 5 speed 'box is 1:1, and sixth in the six speed is 1:1.

As Matt says, try driving your car with out using 5th, and see how it feels.

It's also possible to change the diff ratio (£250-£300) from your standard 3.92 to the normal 3.62 that is used with the six speed. However, there are plenty of six speeders running with the 3.9 diff (mine included).

Edited by - Richard Price on 30 Jul 2009 23:12:44

• Area Representative

Will,

You say "DVA 155bhp" - do you have a standard ECU (6800rpm rev limit) or a SS ECU (7600rpm rev limit)?

If you still have the standard ECU, then you are not making the most of what you have.

My 1600K - 633 cams, 52mm TB, ported head with standard valves, makes its max power at about 7500rpm.

1800's make similar power, but at lower revs.(low enough that you don't really need the extra revs of the SS ECU - unlike a 1600!)

yes i do have a standard ECU , the car does seem to rev high though. The car seems to lack bottom end acceleration from standing start.... i guess thats the 5 speed, once the revs are up in first it accelerates brilliantly. How much would an ECU be ? My engine has DVA head, verniers , cams, 52mm TB as far as I know and 421 exhaust if that helps.

C7 WEA 1.6K DVA Power

• Area Representative
the car does seem to rev high though

How high 🤔

If your current rev limit is 6800rpm (which may look like anything from 6500 to 7200 on the tacho) then you have a standard ECU.

If your rev limit is 7600rpm (which may look like anything from 7400 to 8000 on the tacho) then you have a supersport ECU.

When I was looking for an SS ECU, I put a request in the "Wanted" section. I kept bumping it up to the top, and waited patiently.

I think I paid about £150 for the ECU and matched immobiliser and a pair of plippers.

I understand that Caterham have been able to have them reprogrammed, and the cost has varied from time to time. If you need one, then its worth giving them a call.

so ss ecu is my first move. forgive my ignorance but is it as simple as just plugging it in?

Then 6 speed, they seem fairly rare on here second hand, I remember someone saying 5 speed can be altered to give the same sort of ratios as 6 is this an option or not, if so where's best to look.

Also there seems to be a lot of fly wheels on the market, which are good value/quality ones?

When you say reprogrammed, you mean they can turn my ecu into a ss one at a cost? 😬

thanks!

C7 WEA 1.6K DVA Power

I'm surprised you havent switched to a ss ecu following the engine mods .

6 speed will change the drive significantly and keep the engine on the boil ( ole K series pun 😬).

I would go for the R500 flywheel from Caterham.

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

If the car is a high days and track car, then I'd have to agree, the 6-speed box is better. Following a 1.6 SS SV in my 1.4 SS S3 the lead car was always just that bit further up the rev range, without being at the screaming top, whereas I was always in 3rd! 3rd in mine is good from 30mph to about 100! *confused* *eek* 😬 Although there is talk on here about a 5 speed box with a longer 1st, and closer gears for the rest, giving you the possibility of a touring 5th when a long trudge is required.

BB

The car seems to lack bottom end acceleration from standing start.... i guess thats the 5 speed, once the revs are up in first it accelerates brilliantly
Well, first on the 6 speeder is longer than the first on the 5 speeder (more so still if you fit the 3.62:1 dif to make 6th a bit longer legged) so the 6 speeder will not help you at that end. However, I would have thought you would have enough grunt already in first to exceed the traction. I only have a 1400 and I find it all too easy to get the back end unstuck in first 😬

Hi Will

you have lots of input now! Have had 6 speed from start as drove a 5 speed and found it very disappointing on the 1600. Have 13" wheels and 3.62 lsd diff is good combination. Use Apollo, for mainly road I do not beleive you need dry sump.

Do almost all of the work myself so giving you a price is difficult, all I can say is that Dave was extremely helpful, very fair in price and he also manageged to use some parts from the old head on the new one. I already had van Kroenenburg wide band ECU and throttle bodies so no extra costs.

Peter

PJ

• Area Representative
so ss ecu is my first move. forgive my ignorance but is it as simple as just plugging it in?

The ECU and immobiliser need to be swapped as a matched pair. But, yes, it is a simple matter of un plugging one pair and plugging the other in. ( the immobiliser is the black box mounted on the inside of the scuttle, just above your right knee.)

Caterham will sell you a new SS ECU. See here, but I'd search for a used one, or give caterham a call and enquire about having yours reprogrammed.

I would not even think about a modified 5 speed. If you were to have your 5 speed 'box reconditioned, and alternative ratios fitted, it would end up costing close to a second hand six speed.

The ratios of the six speed are ideal for an engine like yours.

R500 flywheel will be fine.

Edited by - Richard Price on 31 Jul 2009 14:30:40

Adding some more fuel to the fire - I'm part way through my upgrade path which started with a standard 2003 1.6 Academy Car. Wet sumped wit Apollo Tank

Stage 1

Insalled 6 speed box plus R500 Ligthened Fly - verdict it revved like crazy and was more exciting to drive but I was for ever changing gear to keep it in the sweet spot. Okay for track work which is where I mostly use the car for but long road runs it became a nightmare as the gearing through the diff was wrong.

Stage 2

Installed 3.62 LSD which returned the gearing and started to re-enjoy road work and track work became more fun

Stage 3

Played with various Caterham Long 4-1 exhaust systems which had no noticeable effect to power - possibly just a bit more revvy.

Stage 4 - The big one

Commissioned DVA to rebuild the engine with fully modified head with oversized Paul Ivey Valves, Forged Pistons, Spun Liners, Jenvey DTH TB's, Emerald, and 285H Cams - wow a significant transformation but big flat spots in the mid range torque. I took the head to its maximum so that I would be ready for futre mods...see below for future thoughts.

Stage 5.

PowerSpeed 4-2-1 exhaust which sorted the mid range torque.

Stage 6

Trip to Emerald for full mapping - the outcome was astonishing.

I still run with wet sump and it will more than hold its own against R300's and keep touch with stock K Powered R400's

I have also tweeked the suspension and changed all GRP for Carbon.

Stage 7

Thought I should invest in the braking department with new upgraded Master Cylinder and Big Fronts..gives me a lot more feel especially on track with no noticeable fade.

Stage 8 - The future

Thought about hotter cams and stroking to 1.8lts but to be honest this would not give me the power - pound return that I've already created so the only real upgrade path is to graft as much of my current engine onto a Scholar 1.9lts block - this will hopefully take place this winter and which time it will be dry sumped and hopefully be a 250bhp monster. *evil* *rolleyes* *evil*

My Winter '08 Upgrade was to a screaming DVA K05.

www.geoffwilcoxphotography.co.uk