Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Silicone Hoses are they worth it?

abbot

Just checking over the X Flow and noticed that my bottom hose is looking a bit perished.

My question is, are the sexy, blue, silicone top and bottom hoses worth the extra cost or are they really just cosmetic.

Rubber top hose 14,95

Silicone top hose 28.75

What is the opinion?

Chris

Got them om my 7. Also replaced all the hoses on my cossie about 15yrs ago and they still look brand new now, I'm sure rubber ones would have perished long ago. So yes its worth it *thumbup*

Yes.

But see if you can get a ali pipe in the shape of a hose and use short straight Sili hoses on both ends.

I've done this to the top hose but haven't looked hard for a suitable bottom (so to speak).

So, who in the club can make ali tubing (or at least bend it)

Brent?

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

I changed all mine with rubber from Caterham. The replacements rubber hoses were of significantly inferior quality to the original rubber hoses and started to crack in less than a year, not happy.

I think the most cost effective course of action is to use silicone, and this is what I will be doing.

The difference in quality is staggering, I think the originals, now over ten years old are better than the replacements after two years.

Your choice, but if you have the funds go for silicone.

S7MAD

slightly stealing the thread here but as im also thinking of doing the same thing, i was wondering about what to use instead of jubilee clicps? i have heard of "sring clips" which aparently expand slightly under presure but surely thats more risky?

Danny, Jubilee clips are fine. The main problem is overtighening them! Once the clip starts "cutting" into the hose it's tight enough. Stop there, it shouldn't leak if the surface your clamping is in good condition.

I have lots of Mikor clamps but find the "spread" is not always enough when you have a large lip.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

• 3 weeks later...

I know it has been a long time, but nice new blue silicone top and bottom hoses now fitted.

They look very good but now make the other smaller dia hoses look carp.

What is the best source for these smaller hoses

to and from heater box

oil breather to catch bottle

Thanks for any guidance

Chris

1700ss BRG/Yellow Stripe the only way to cruise