Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cure for X-Flow 'Popping', but why?

John Ryan

Ever since I rebuilt the car, it has suffered from 'popping' via the carbs, especially on the over-run. I thought this was a carb related issue. However, I have just fitted some 7 Workshop copper exhaust gaskets, to cure a persistent leak from the centre exhaust manifold, and not only has that worked, but the popping has gone too.

Any ideas why?

John,

I've been told that spitting from the carbs, especially when cold, could be as a result of a weak mixture (normally jetting related).

If you had a leak on the outlet then POSSIBLY you were drawing some air in from both sides and resulting in a weak mixture in that way - hence your popping / spitting back.

??

Dave

My understanding is that you are chucking unburned fuel in the exhaust, but exhaust gases have used up all their oxygen in the combustion process. Let fresh air in though and suddenly there’s a source of oxygen allowing the unburned fuel to go pop.

As to how fresh air can get in – I don’t know, I’d have thought that the exhaust was under higher pressure so the exhaust gases should be flowing out of your holes, rather than fresh air flowing in!

Oops - just read Dave's reply after typing mine, re-read your original post and spotted that you're referring to popping on the carb side. *redface*

Edited by - james xflow on 27 May 2009 16:28:55

I'd say there's quite a difference between my carbs popping (they don't any longer fortunately) and my exhaust. The carbs are much higher sound and sort of coughy, whereas the exhaust is a definite pop pop pop BANG!

Unburnt fuel in the exhaust will explode on the overrun as described above.

However new manifold gaskets shouldn't cause or cure that.

If it was spitting back through the carbs it sounds like an air leak on the induction side which has now been cured.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

Carb popping (more like sneezing really) normally occurs on light throttle at cruising speed and is usually cured by richening the mixture a tad.

If it's on the overrun, that is usually unburnt fuel in the exhaust. Certainly an air leak could be pulling in extra oxgen and burning off the fuel. In a way this is doing the same job as a catalytic converter, so just claim you're being green!

On the overrun, the gas pressure in the exhaust will often be lower than atmospheric due to the small amount of exhaust gas moving at speed; therefore air is sucked in. Under load, the exhaust gas pressure increases and the leak goes the other way.

My assumption therefore is that the problem was actually with the exhaust but it could have been something weirder I suppose.

Edited by - Roger King on 27 May 2009 19:56:44

My old, original, proper, shape Renault 5 used to do exactly the same thing - the silencer box was in the nearside front wing and the leaking joint to it used to cause the popping - tightening the joint sorted it.

I assumed then that hot exhaust, unburnt fuel exciting the cylinders on the over-run (no fancy fuel cut-off solenoids on that beastie) and fresh air = pop pop pop pop POP pop . .

Bri

All about the popping on over-run... On the 2cv, with some suitably leaky joints, or just the manifold on and no pipework, the popping became a banging, and now that was fun in tunnels... WARRRRRRRRRP-P-P-POP-POP-PARP-BANG!

Taking the silencer off the 7 has a similar exciting effect, accept it sounds like a spitfire - loverly 😬 😬 😬

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )

My old Mk2 Midget used to pop on the over run and I've heard lots of A-Series engined cars doing the same (Moggie Minors and Minis in particular) - it was always something of a signature sound with those cars!

Once the Midget had been rebuilt and the engine, carbs and distributor properly rebuilt, it still did it. I assumed it was unburned fuel in the exhaust...

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

very difficult to stop bang from the exaust

as I have an A2 cam, under the 3000 rev the engine is not on cam

and if it is weak the carbs spit

and if it is rich the exaust bang

and if the trottle is off, sometimes it is a spit in the carb followed by a bang in the exaust

But most of times no spit and no bang

So it is the charm of the engine

modern engine don't do that, except the race engines .... *smile*