Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spark plug equivalent

weeman

My '7' (Sigma engine) has FoMoCo plugs and I'd like to source the equivalent in Bosch or NGK, unless any of you has a better suggestion. There are sites that compare Spark plugs but none seem to list Ford plugs. The part no' is AYFS 22CB.

TIA

Be Lucky!!

Martin

(Solent Se7ens) M7

• 2 weeks later...

Martin,

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I'm interested to know what plugs you settled on, and whether yours is a 125 or 150 Sigma ??

I struggled with misfiring for a long time and seemed to cure it by re-gapping the plugs to 0.9mm from 1.2mm.

After Keevil on Saturday, the car was struggling and all the gaps had increased again, so I regapped back to 0.9mm and all is well.

So I am thinking would the equivalent "proper"make plug be more consistent, or is there a better plug anyway

TIA

Rik

Roadsport SV 1.6 Sigma 150

in Viper Blue here

Edited by - Windy Corner on 28 Apr 2009 09:19:27

Why not try DENSO.........seems that they did OK for Toyota last weekend. only problem is you will need a course in Japanese to read their webpage 😬

Edited by - brunel on 28 Apr 2009 09:58:44

Rik,

Mine is the Sigma 125, and I replaced the plugs with NGK TR5A-10 (Halfords no 731) and the gap is 38 thou (approx 1mm I think?)

I couldn't say that these were necessarily a better plug than the FoMoCo plugs that came with the car as I simply don't know but I would say that they are more readily available.

Because I'm 'old school' I change the plugs in my car with every second oil change (8k miles) and not necessarily because it needs them, although with modern plugs this is probably excessive.

There're many more knowledgeable people on this forum than me but for the gap on your plugs to be increasing, either the electrode is burning away (unlikely on all plugs) or the 'tang' (bent over bit) is too soft and is opening.

It's difficult to know whether the condition of a spark plug is the cause of a problem or the symptom.

Sorry for the long winded answer.

I was at Keevil on Saturday, did you have a good day?

Be Lucky!!

Martin

(Solent Se7ens) M7

Martin, thanks for that

Saturday was fantastic, just proved all the shortcomings are the driver and not the car !!!!!

I will do some more searching on spark plugs, all I do know is that on Saturday the car got hotter than I have ever had it before, flat out then periods of waiting meant the fan was kicking in all the time, and the oil pressure dropped to about 1-2 bar on idle when it was hot, so perhaps an oil change is in order.

Ian,

Any idea of a trade name or type ?? I tried googling "fancy 3 legged" and you don't want to know what came up 😬

R

in Viper Blue here

Just spoken to my local car shop ... they stock them .... Bosch (something like Super 4). With the details of the original plug they can match the heat range required ... so your local shop should be able to help. Maybe you need to go up a temp rating too ?

edit - turns out to be 4-legged ... so best not go there on Google, or you'll have the Welsh involved ! Baaaa !!

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 28 Apr 2009 11:20:22

Rik,

glad you had a good one on Saturday.

If you do find an alternative plug that you like , I'd be interested to know which ones?

Oil is everything! Might be worth changing oil prior to track use?

Be Lucky!!

Martin

(Solent Se7ens) M7

Thanks for the picture and email, Ian

Had another look at the Plugs when I got home, and as Martin says, AYFS 22CB, but also Bosch HR8MEV stamped on them. Looked up on the t'internet and found these are a "colder" plug gapped for 1.3mm.

As I had already discovered, that these plugs don't like 1.3mm in a Caterham, and my plugs never seemed to get hot enough to self clean (i.e. they were always black not brownish) I decided to go with Martins suggestion of the TR5A-10's, price being the main driver 😬 (the 10 refers to a gap of 1.0mm which is nearer to what I have been gapping the original ones at.

Fitted them tonight, went for a quick blat before the rain, car felt much better, smoother etc etc.

I will give it a bit longer and check the plugs and their colour to see if the tip temperature is hotter than before

Thanks for all the comments, will keep you posted

Rik

in Viper Blue here

• 4 months later...