Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil filter?

Ozzy

I recently ordered a few bits from CC, including an oil filter.

Old one was LPW100180, new one they sent LPW100181

I rang CC sat morning to check this, and spoke to someone (I didn't recognise this voice), they went off and checked the stock, and said this was ok.

It fits ok, but looks slightly different. Just wanted to be sure I was told the right thing. Anyone know anything about oil filters? Or had similar experience?

Oz.

A right rip off!

I think it was about £7.50, but after reading an interesting article pointing out the very real differences between original parts, and aftermarket parts, I thought sod it, and got theirs!

The 181 is not the same part though Mav. It is slightly smaller in diameter, and the holes around the face look slightly smaller. Hence why I was a bit sceptical!

Oz.

😬

Never mind though - think of the added kudos from the car being fully genuine Caterham *wink*

And of course, my filter could simply be a cheap chinese copied box and the filter itself has already done 100,000 miles in a metro . . .

Bri

• 1 year later...

I'm just in the process of buying some of these filters.

Interesting ads on E Bay here

and

here

I'm guessing the cheaper one is a Polish copy. Now whether it makes a difference or not if it's made to the same spec I dont know.

Cautionary tale; BMW and Subaru oil filters are expensive, but they have quality filters, an oil pressure relief valve and drain prevention rings in them. Cheap copies don't, and oil filter failures can be expensive. I know from experience on a BMW.

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...