Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lifespan of coolant hoses?

Dickie Normuss

How long should they last? I need to replace ones that have badly perished more than halfway though, past the reinforcing thread but they're only about 3 years old. The originals were on there 13 years before being replaced. Are they now making them from some eco friendly rubbish that doesn't last like the old ones?

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere

Ric,

I put silicone hoses on my VX just over a year ago and I definately got a set specific for the VX. I can't remember if I got them from CC or James Whiting but they are available.

The set covers the three main hoses from memory, the rest I made up with straight lengths that I bought from somewhere else.

I went mad an even did the very short lengthe between the heater and the valve!

Alan

Ric

Correct it wasnt a cheap exercise but I 'justified' it on the basis of fit and forget. Probably wouldnt do that this year I would just replace with standard but its done now.

I do remember that I got very mesy and no matter what I did I ended up with coolant running up my arm as I took the bottom hose off the block.

Alan

I replaced mine after 8 years as a precautionary measure and found that the replacement hoses are very inferior to my originals. They are thinner and more flexible with vertually no webbing, a bit of a rip off in my opinion.

The new ones started to crack in less than a year. Caterham said they would look at them and replace if the thought they were faulty. As it would mean taking the lot off again and not having the car on the road I did not bother.

S7MAD