Click here if you are having website access problems ×

hoses to and from heater

the puddings

hi just getting the car out of cold storage and noticed the hoses to and from the heater which we never use are looking tired .can anyone give me a thread on replacements,and any pitfalls when replacing them cheers thankyou .ps wondering if it might be just as quick to get rid of the heater as we have never used it ,thanks again puddings .

dear pudding *biggrin*

If your a bit technical can I suggest you get some 5/8" copper pipe and use the copper pipe on the long runs with a bridge piece of rubber at each end. Those huge lengths of rubber hose are just asking for trouble. Of course you'll need to clip aor cable tie the copper hose to stop too much movement.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

I had exactly the same problem, and you cannot get replacements from CC. I used SAMCO silicone hoses (Burtons). You just have to make up the right shape using elbows and straights, and you will probably never have to worry about them again.

Terry

1700XF - Team Lotus with flares.

If you are only using the car in the summer then I would say ditch the heater. However, if you are using the car in the winter and are not an idiot like me then keep the heater, until you ditch it you will not realise how much heat still gets into the footwells.

If you do decide to remove the heater do a search on tech talk as there is a thread somewhere there about removing the heater (and what you need). I do have photos of my heater removal. However, if you do remove the heater then you will need a blanking plate which you can get from CC - but that could take a few weeks (sure someone on here can mention a better place to get a blanking plate).

-----

1993 De-Dion 1700 X/FLOW

Norman, that copper pipe (with beads I guess?) is a darn good idea. I've done a shade over 6k in all weathers and yes the rubber pipes are awful. I reckon that could save on a few quid when going down the silicone route, dear me the price of a set is horrifying.

Any reason why copper instead of fancy aluminium?

Blanking plate for me was a PITA. Glue, drill, rivet. Wish I'd just glued it and left it.

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )

Yes, when I was still a bit sane (but only a tinsey bit) I had a heater and made up some copper pipes as described. In fact I think they're still in my spares (as I never throw anything away I'm sure they are). I can remember that the pipe to the water pump had a gentle 90 degree bend in it and was then clipped to the cam cover screws as it run nortwards to the heater. Can't remember the other pipe but I think it was straight.

As copper is used in central heating then that was my favoured material.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

John,

Aluminium fatigues if flexes, so needs to be oversize. That's the reason ali mountain bike frames feel dead...they've no give. As a result, I think you'll likely find it difficult to get thin walled ali tube of the right diameter.

I think, part of the reason copper is used in (Household) water pipes is because they vibrate and get on, and you don't want them to be bursting every year.

You should find it alot easier to get copper pipe in a suitable diameter and wall thickness...and it'll almost certainly be lighter than the ali one. It's used alot more than you think for cars. You can polish it up nice if you're that way inclined, and straight bits of it look alot smarter than horrible dozed rubber...or that hideous corrugated hose stuff.

Willie