Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fan override switch...

Bullitt

Wire, rated at whatever the fan draws on startup; I used 15amp.

I did this last year, but without the LED, on my xflow. The easiest route for me was to run a wire from the positive side of the thermostat switch to a relay under the dash.Then a positive feed from the ignition (position 2 so the fan goes off when the ignition is off) to the switch and then to the relay. The relay wiring is set up so that when the switch in ON, it energises the relay coil, and the same positive feed is used across the relay switch. I used the common earth point under the dash for the other side of the relay coil.

It's actually easier to do than describe, and I think there may be a diagram out on the intertubes or somewhere here on BC.

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

I located the relay inside the engine bay near the radiator to minimise the 12V runs. I then piggybacked the switched circuit onto the existing switch and also piggy backed the live feed on the relay from the lived side of the switched circuit on the relay.

Then all that was needed was a switched earth lead from the earth side of the relay to a switch on the dashboard which feeds into the earth loom.

This means that if anything goes wrong, it is only a low voltage, low current wire running back to the dashboard.

Cheers,

Graham

------

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Coz us xflow boys don't like sitting in traffic.

For some reason best know to someone other than me, the thermostat switch always seems to kick in far too hot. The thermostat is a 74deg, but my fan doesn't come on until around 10deg higher.

Hence the switch on the dash.

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

But that sounds okay to me. Fans are supposed to come in higher than stat temp.

Never had a problem with my crossflow with a switch in the stat housing. It's not even a problem with a crossflowed Dutton we use for trialling - lots of revs, via really low first gear, and a really low diff (combined 20:1), moving slow, usually caked in mud.

Bri