Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Diffs

Irrelevant

Looks like it could be made to fit into a Caterham chassis pretty well . .. It's a BMW diff from a Z4. The ratios come in pretty much any size you can think of(c.2.9 to c.4.5 or something) and they some come with an LSD(which would need fettling I guess, but still).

Sure, it would need different driveshafts and prop and maybe some brackets brased on, but it would solve the problems with the new Quaife diffs and make tracking down 3.14:1 ratio Sierra diffs a thing of the past for people with BECs.

Anyone seen one of these in the flesh. They look pretty compact but how big are they compared to a Sierra diff? Any idea on weight?

Mark: I was thinking about the diff unit itself rather than LSD unit. Want a lower ratio one for mine and already have 3.14 . . . just thinking aloud really . . not about to rush out and buy anything at the moment.

taffyracer: I just pinched TMS's image . .. I was thinking more of using a used stock diff unit. You got any idea what these diffs weigh and their dimensions compared to a 7" Ford Sierra diff.

Adam, the problem wasn't with the Quaiffe diffs. As I understood from the many many times mine has been replaced, they are made elsewhere, as I was told for my last swap that the one they put in was Quaiffe built. The latest one is much much nicer.

Tarnish the good name of Quaiffe... tut tut *nono* *tongue* *wink* *tongue* *wink* *tongue*

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 6 Mar 2009 16:49:05

I've seen a Quaife CW&P that had done a few miles (but not that many as it was only 6 months old) and you could see steps where the teeth had been meshing. I think Quaife out source the gears to a Italian company which is strange because making gears is what Quaife do *confused*

jason

C7 8USA

myothercarsa2cv: So the Quaife supplied diffs were failing because Quaife outsourced the gear production to some tin-pot outfit in Italy. After various warranty replacements, Quaife got their act together and brought the gear production back in house and all's OK now? That correct?

The French were using BMW diffs 6 years ago in sevens.

Funny how often ideas are rarely new . . .if it's worth doing, as often as not, someone's already done it. Anyone got any leads on someone who's actually fitted a BMW diff please?

Adam, to be honest I have no idea. The first three diffs I got from Caterham were carp, and the fourth was amazing. That was the one they said was a Quaiffe built one so should be good. So I'm assuming the others weren't Quaiffe built?

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )

are there any marking on the casing that identify exactly what type and ratio?

The original Sierra ones had a tin tag held on by one of the back plate bolts and this gave ratio and if it was open or lsd. When they are reconed for CC the tag is removed.

Jason

C7 8USA