Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres

CSR Phill

I know this is an emotive subject but the CR500s on my CSR have seriously cracked side walls long before the tread wears out. Whats the recommended alternative? 195s at the front 245s at the rear [i think!] I want the grip of the CR500s but with a bit more durability.

Just to help Phill it is one of the first CSR200s.

Someone must know if there are alternative tyres for the standard wheels on these, so if you can help I would be appreciative as I was the one that said here was the place to ask.

Please don't let me look any more stupid than I am.

S7MAD

I'm afraid I think you're asking for the impossible, however I'm suprised your CR500's have split sidewalls are they quite old?

The alternatives to CR500's such as Toyo 888's or Yoko 48r's have more grip but don't last anywhere near as long, you'll also probably struggle to get suitable sizes for a CSR unless you change to different size wheels.

I'd be inclined to give another set of CR500's a go, are you on 13's or 15's?

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Phill

I had cracked sidewalls on my rears after dropping the pressure to 20psi for a sprint event - it seems that the CR500s don't like running with lower pressure than recommended. The sidewalls split on the inside edge, which has more loading due to the camber.

Steve

Edited to say - the 'splitting' was more like a surface layer of rubber lifting off than the more normal cracking you sometimes see on very old tyres where the rubber is deteriorating. The effect is a bit like if you added a tread on to the carcass of the tyre and then started to pare it back from the sidewall where the thinner rubber had wrapped round.

Steve

Edited by - sjmmarsh on 18 Jan 2009 15:38:00

Relax Malc no one will blame you [much]

The tyres in question have been in use for 3 years and are running at about 18psi. This is obviously too low, but its the pressure I was advised by a very reputable expert who set the suspension up for me.

I'm with you Ian (SM25T)

I run mine at 18psi cold (on a really hot day 16psi) and after 7.5k miles there's no sign of any deterioration and I would estimate that there's probably 5 or 6 k miles left on them. Mind you my cars not a CSR.

Be Lucky!!

Martin

(Solent Se7ens) M7

• 2 months later...

Ian,

I run my roadsport SV on 17/18, wear is even and seems to work well.

The latest handbook says 18 front & rear for 195x45x15

and confirms Steves figures of 24 & 23 for CSR front & rear.

We can compare sidewalls on the quay at Portsmouth on Friday 😬

Rik

Roadsport SV 1.6 Sigma 150

in Viper Blue here