Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What are the benefits of inboard front suspension?

Billyboy

Brent,

Seeing as we have already totally annihilated this thread; what are the flaws you've mentioned?

Also, what are you an Engineer of? Civil/Mechanical/Aero?

Have you spoken to many sales men who are unable to convince you their product is up to the job? Anyway, are Nitrons not GAS and AVO, as fitted to Freestyle's system, Oil? So really it should be AVO you're chatting to.

Take a spring off an oil damper and refit it to the suspension. Work the wishbone for 30seconds, then feel it. Even better, go out for a real good blast, feel the rear damper, and then the front. Rear is without airflow.

Yes, I agree they're up to the job, and for those who like compromise, they will do it perfectly well in behind the radiator...but I guarantee you they won't do the job as long as they would mounted outboard. Is it coincidence that my front AVOs are fine, but one of my rear ones has started leaking? Its not just about how a product acts/feels, its about lifetime too.

Of course, this is all theory. Theory I enjoy, and you're clearing getting upset about...but don't forget that the Freestyle setup has the dampers fairly well out of the radiator airflow. But Billyboy didn't ask just about Freestyle, he was asking about Inboard in general, and so I stand by my statement, that in my opinion, I still see dampers dumped in rad airflow as a disadvantage to nice cool air rushing over them.

Willie

p.s. I don't think outside air temp is as critical as you'd think.

Who's getting upset? *confused* *confused* Certainly not I. Frustrated maybe, but not upset! *smile*

Mechanical.

Is it coincidence that one of your rear AVO dampers leaked? I would suggest not because in my experience, AVO dampers are not great on quality and the leak has nothing to do with whether it is on the rear or front of the car. I had 2 AVO dampers leak from new due to poor build quality, as did another well known BlatChatter! The difference in quality (and price) between AVO and Nitron is like night and day.

The guys at Nitron are more than just 'salespeople'. Talk to Guy Evans and you will be talking to a very knowledgeable engineer who knows his subject inside out.

Please don't keep talking about the 'compromise' of dampers behind radiators. This is not a compromise in the context of which we are discussing here.

'Gas' dampers still have oil in them, the gas is in a pressurised reservoir and kept separate from the oil, to accommodate the movement of the piston, since it is compressible. Without it, you would simply get a hydraulic lock in the damper. If you don't believe me, try taking a 'gas' damper apart and be prepared to get wet!

....I guarantee you they won't do the job as long as they would mounted outboard.

Really??? *confused* *confused*

Please point me towards documented evidence of this phenomenon. I must have missed it.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

Toyota power It's the future!

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 21 Nov 2008 12:13:00

😬

As road driving will be the best part of use in my next ownership 😬 and build cost will be tight to get the things I know I need, inboard suspension will be the last on the list!

But I would still look at it as an "UPGRADE" as it evedently offers better road ride at least! over the standard outboard setup.

Thanks for all the input, and good to see no shortage of pasion for all things 7 😬

I won't have to think though if I get a CSR........Can't see that happening though ☹️

bill

"I won't have to think though if I get a CSR........Can't see that happening though" ☹️

Oh, I don't know, have you seen the prices of good second hand ones, they are down to the mid £20k with only a handful of miles on them. *eek* it's a good job I didn't buy mine as an investment 😔

They may even be down to under £20 before too long, what with this recession and winter coming on. Not that I want to talk there value down of course, what with them being the best Seven in the range 😬 🥰

Paul J.

Loud pipes save lives, but quiet ones save your hearing.

Just my 2 pence worth.

My super wide track inboard Freestyle/ Nitron R400 race car with a poorly down on power engine. Compared to my stardard R400 full power engine same tyres etc.

Lydden .55 seconds faster

Brands . 60 seconds faster

Snetterton .90 seconds faster *confused*

Most importanly the tyres last longer. *smile*

I know its not conclusive but but I feel the car is easier to drive on the limit. *rolleyes*

Best ask Fatcat and Pendennis.

On the road you really notice how quick the car turns and it looks soooooo coooool *smokin* *smokin* *smokin*

Have a look at the web page.

http://www.freestylemotorsport.co.uk/news_and_articles.htm#freestylephilosophy

A great way to have CSR wide track with out the extra weight and cost.

Merrick

• 6 years later...

Just been reading this thread with interest as I've often wondered why inboard suspension has never really taken off, despite the theory saying it should be better. If it really is better on a 7 then why don't Caterham fit it to their range topping 620R? Says it all I reckon.

• 2 weeks later...