Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How do I use my Seven without doors?

Doug

Sevens unquestionably look much better without doors and are far more fun to drive, if you don't mind the incredible buffetting! I've tried using the official perspex side screens but they don't make a significant difference. A perennial problem area this, I do realise.

Given that putting full doors on virtually eliminates the problem, it would seem that the airflow around the sides of the windscreen is at the root of the problem... or am I mistaken?

There is clearly an aerodynamic fault somewhere (Yeh, I know the Seven isn't great in this respect) and wonder if anyone has determined where this fault lies? Is it that the screen itself is not optimised in some respect (rake perhaps?) or is there more to it that this. Perhaps a screen behind the seats such as the one made by Soft bits for Sevens might help.

It would be interesting to know if a Seven has ever been in a wind tunnel to see where the buffetting originates from.

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

• Leadership Team

The cause is simple - flat screen. The cure is rather more complex!

Most owners have settled on either of 2 choices - screen and doors, or aeroscreen. It may be possible to bring in other ideas to use the screen alone but much experimenting is needed. I did wonder at one time whether a vent feeding air to the inside-central area of the screen might help to increase the pressure (ie. reduce the suction effect behind the screen).

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

Stu, I did wonder if it was something like that.

Sports cars in the 20s and 30s all had a similar set up and don't seem to suffer from the same problem. I've done many miles in a 30s HRG and never get buffeted in the way I do in the Seven without doors! The HRG has a flat screen too which was what made me wonder about rake or even windscreen height.

It would be very interesting to see how air behaves around the screen in a wind tunnel...

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

I think that Brooklands give better wind protection than the areoscreen and no buffering thats to say windy but not the same effect as wind round the side of the mainscreen buffering with the air over the top

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

If you take an air gun and warm up the perspex on the wind deflectors and slowly increase the bend in them, you can get them to stick out more - try driving with them and hold the drivers one out with your hand - it makes quite a difference. You may need to reposition the rubber pad to stop it scratching the car though.

-----

VDU 7X Pics

More VDU 7X Pics

Anyone tried a leather flying helmet

OH yes but.........

Well when I bought my Ivin flying jacket I tried on the matching sheepskin pilots helmet... the wife pinched me cheek and said “who’s a cheeky chappy” then fell about with laughter when said so it does not suite me…. I tried on the leather one by then she had the lady assistant laughing ...we left with just the jacket and SHMBO saying I wished we had brought a camera. Having said that it/they are good idea… if......

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Edited by - Bilbo on 13 Nov 2008 22:11:03