Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Transmission 'clunk' and whine

Bellissimmo

Yes, they're very highly strung machines - they have to be serviced every 500 miles 😬 😬 😬

I was told that, in spite of what it said in the handbook (500 miles), the first service is recommended at 1,000 miles (and that's what it says on the noticeboard in Dartford). Can't see that it makes much difference as all they seem to do is an end-to-end 'spanner check' . I changed my own oil & filter at 1,000 miles so I was fairly relaxed with taking it in at 1500 for the 'service'.

Steve

Yep, it's that Ford boat anchor you got in there... Rover still goes in after 500, and every 3000 after that I think? *confused*

Mine was delivered in March.

Rookies - 400 miles since June? You should be ashamed!!! *wink* *tongue* 😬

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Hitting it fixed it )

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Tarnishing nicely ☹️)

OK, i am being really simple here, i know, but have i got this correct. the handbook is wrong. I didnt need a 500 mile Service, I should have done it at 1000. having had a 500 mile Service, when should I get it done again? 6000?

(with all these silly questions, i sometimes wonder how on earth I managed to build this thing)

TMA,

I wouldn't get too worked up about it. As I say, the first service seems mostly about checking levels and making sure your nuts are tight 😳 so it really doesn't matter if you do it at 500 or 1,000 (unless something falls off at 750!!) *cry*

I can't recall what the service schedule is (you may well be correct at 6,000) but if I remember while I'm there tomorrow, I'll make a note of it and post it up here.

The build manual suggests putting cheap and cheerful oil in for running-in, which I did. So when I started using the car a bit harder at 1,000 miles, I decided it was time to replace the Halfords cheapo with something reassuringly expensive. *cool*

Steve

Looks like they've cracked it !!

New diff is much much quieter than the old one - I've discovered that my engine makes broom-broom noises as I go along! There's a very slightly greater tendency for it to knock a bit between power and overrun and vice versa.

It seems to perform better too but that may just be because I'm longer worried that the diff is going to explode!

John, Thanks for meeting me up there and for the mini-blat. Shame 'er indoors was in a hurry to get to the shops else we could have had a much longer run.

Vip, Rajah, Time for a call to Caterham - if yours are as noisy as mine was, it's well worth getting it done.

Oh, and another *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* for Sharon - attentive as ever - she even managed to blag a set of Snap-on allen keys from the service techs for me to tighten up my mirror stalks. 😬 😬

Steve

Wooohooo!!!! Great news!

I'll be calling Caterham first thing on Monday 😬. How long did they have to hang on to the car for? When I swapped my diff it took about 10 hours. I guess they can whip out the old and in with the new much much much faster than that!

Bellissimo - Hope the blat was a blast. The weather was perfect for it!

TMA

Can't tell you how long it took. For my convenience, I took it in last Saturday and picked it up today. Just as well I did because, in addition to the service and the diff, they also replaced a leaky rad and the brake light switch (thank goodness for the warranty!!)

The mini-blat with John was no more than 20 minutes so when I stopped to refuel at Maidstone, I told SWMBO to press on while I filled up. As soon as she was on her way in her car, I set the SatNav to 'avoid highways' and turned a 40 minute motorway run into a 90 minute blast through a-roads, b-roads, country lanes and cart tracks. Absolutely fantastic drive in terrific weather. Got told off when I arrived home but, as they say, sometimes it's easier to apologise than get permission. 😬 *cool* 😬 *cool* 😬 *cool*

Steve

😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

Ah, the sneaky-blat, the close cousin of the blatt-ette and best friend of the blattlet!

I spent the afternoon cleaning all the muck and grime from last sunday's airfield day. How a car can get so dirty when there was so much rain, I'll never understand. The car has a whole new host of stone chips, or as SWMBO said 'marks of honour'! 😬 Bless her, she gets the whole idea of Caterhams. They're there to be enjoyed!

Steve

Thanks for the update - think i'll book it in for a first service and see what they say about it. Its good to know that there might be a fix.

John - in some form of defence, the 2nd June was delivery of a box of bits. Build took just over a month but it was only finally registered in the middle of Sept! (mostly thanks to the truly diligent chaps at the SVA centre - mustn't forget that Xmas card this year!!!!)

Jonathan

😶‍🌫️ You are forgiven, rookies 😬

I took 8 weekends to build the car, no hurrying, then another 8 weeks to get it registered. Such bureaucracy.

Steve *thumbup* no problemo, good to know there's a massive improvement. I think there's some warranty work to be done to mine now, I don't like the graunching! Next time you're down, we'll do some better roads where you can concentrate on the driving rather than the noises the car makes!

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Hitting it fixed it )

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Tarnishing nicely ☹️)

Great news about the diff fix Steve. Will ring Sharon and see if I can persuade her to replace mine too. Very envious of your long blat, I've spent the weekend driving to and from Aberdeen in a diesel golf and the poor caterham has been shut away in the garage.

Vip

Build Pics: here

Bellissimmo / Steve

just thought I would drop a line to say I'm glad all came well with the new Diff. I'm like a lot of others I guess, unless we share what things are like we will never know what they should be like *confused*

Andy

Bravo.... BlatChat 😬

PLOD's been, waiting for DVLA again!!

• 11 months later...

Interesting thread this one.

I have had a new r300 for about a week now and find the

noise on lift off/overrun incredible.

I feel it is gearbox rather than diff but whatever it is it

is a very rough sounding noise.

Yes, the diff clunks a bit but I really think that is my fault

as I am not yet as smooth as I should be. Time and miles

should cure - hopefully!

Could it just be that they forgot to put oil in gearbox?

I find that if you wear some ear plugs /defenders or listen to an ipod as i do it take out alot of the clunks and whines of the gearbox and diff and leaves you with the sound of the engine and a better driving experience .

04 Blue/Orange Superlight

R300 Going no where fast!

*arrowup*

i use me ipod, then only thing i hear is the limiter or a crunch when i miss a gear lol, it has taken me some getting used to the whine and clunks, but i do have a lsd so ill just live with it, or drive sideways more often no clunk when the diffs locked 😬

J7BYY

Kwak Green SLR