Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Head Machining

Eugene

I'm in need of some serious help here!

I have in my garage (on loan) the last of the Vegantune Twincam heads in full machined form (but not 'worked' for flow, etc), never used...

I also have some brand new raw castings for the same head un-machined form, but in a better alloy mix.

The diagrams for the machining worek have been lost when VeganTune folded, so the new owners don't have them...

So, I need to get the data reverse engineered from the machined head onto the new raw castings!

Any ideas as to who can do this?

Small Boy - with Loud Toy!

See Eugene here

and see what I do here

Don't know where you are based but a great guy and probably one of the best engineers around may be of help.

Billy Bannister of Bannister Racing engines based in Bamber Bridge near Preston.

He does some super trick stuff and as an ex toolmaker myself I am always in awe when I see the work he turns out.

Kenny

Hi Steve,

Good engineering shop will be able to replicate this for you using the last machined head as a reference point. Need to be certain the new castings are dimensionally appropriate.

I have two questions:

1. Is the objective to produce one finished head ?

2. is the objective to collect the data from the process so that a "batch" of castings can be machined for the lucky few vegantune 7's and Elan owners ?

Ant

Hi Anthony, Kenny,

Thanks for the info.

The idea is to build be a new head for me, and then for the new VeganTune Company owners to be able to build new batches for other owners 😬

I love the engine, so really hope this isn't the end of the line!

See Eugene here

and see what I do here

Edited by - Eugene on 1 Aug 2008 14:38:24

This can be done with a robotised arm laser scanner.

Long storey but Mrs R college borrowed my car for their stand at a show.

This scanner is like a 3d laser digitiser. Simply place the object to be scanned on a bench alongside the portable scanner which is fixed to a tripod, and sweep the arm back and forth. A very very sensitive image (3d) builds itself infront of you on the screen.

This is then turned into a cad file. Then cad cam etc.

I use cad for architecture etc but this was bloody amazing. One of its main objectives is reverse engineering.

I can probably put you in touch if you like as they do like to do things like this and also legitimately hire their services out.

Two things though. College is in Llanelli. Its the summer Hols.

How does this scanner work out things like valve guide angles it must ahace to take three points to take and sort of alignment as a refreance i thing a CMM is the way to rev engineer this its.

Most Cyl heads have several datums depending on which way your machining them.

Tweeky

In a purple haze

Thanks for all the ideas!

Simon, the collage sounds a very interesting idea! I'm in no rush, so after the hols would be fine!

To contact the new VeganTune owners: Symon Nicholas-Jago

I've spoken to Rob at ProTune (RatRace), but he can't help without the diagrams.

The new castings look fantastic - better material than the old ones 😬

See Eugene here

and see what I do here

• 2 weeks later...