Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upgrade x flow to K series?????

Dave B

Still having problems finding out if I can register my 1989 x flow 7 in Spain. It seems that the K series engine is homolgated ( also the Sigms but too expensive ) in Spain. What I need to work out is if I have to swap engines, what is the likely cost of say sourcing a VVC from a breakers ( around £500 - £600 ) then all the parts needed to fit into long chassis de dion with type 9 gb. I think I could recover most of the expense from selling my all steel dry sumped x flow with 165 bhp 🙆🏻. Any thoughts anyone?

Dave B

Is a 1989 chassis a universal one? You might find you have the required holes & bosses in the chassis already. You need a new bellhousing too, dont forget.

And your suspension setting up cos youll be removing all that cast iron weight *tongue*

Not sure about the chassis but I will probably have it rebuilt at Arch so could get any mods done if required. Shame my nice shiny alloy bell housing wont fit. Still something else to sell on if I go down this route.

Dave B

Thanks Mark

But I wont have a definative answer until Dec when I am going to do battle with the Spanish beurocrasy. That will be interesting in itself. I guess when I know for sure I will post in the wanted section for parts needed and for sale for the xflow. What I am trying to establish at the moment is what exactly I will need and work the sums out from there. So far its a bell housing but I am certain there are other parts I will need.

Cheers

Dave B

Engine

Sump

Exhaust

Alternator? Mounts

Bellhousing

Engine Mounts

Modified gearbox Mount

Tunnel top - as gearbox/lever exit further back.

hoses

Fueling - you may be able to get away with using the homogolated engine (while fuel injected) with carbs, imperfect but if not

Fuel system, swirl pot or new tank and high pressure fuel lines

Nick

The upper chassis diagonals would need to be moved. so would the mounting points for the engine mounts.

A guy here in Denmark has done it; not something I'd recommend without taking it to Arch!

/regin

Graham

Had considered that but very expensive especially if I keep the x flow as I will need to get specially fabricated exhaust primaries. RHD is not a problem in Spain its just the homologation of the engine apparently.

Cheers

Dave B

Who'd want a LHD Seven?

The car is so narrow it's not a problem. And if you're right-handed, then you still have your strongest hand on the wheel whilst changing gear...

There is never enough time to do it properly, but there is always time to do it again

Me don't... Me also on the "wrong" side of the road, but have never seen it as a problem. Apart from the one time when I was "pushed" off the road by an idiot whom didn't obey his duty to give way. I don't like being attacked from the RHS on the road as I'm too close... 😳

There is never enough time to do it properly, but there is always time to do it again

GJT

I think it is the engine in the car which is homolgated. ie a package. Also CC spec for Spanish cars is different to UK and because my 7 is old this complicates matters. But, I havent given up yet.

Cheers

Dave B

Dave you are correct: type approval is for the vehicle itself , not the engine. ven if you fitted a zero emissions engine to your crossflow it would not guarantee you would get a spanish reg 😬

I am more knowledgeable on the French situation but the principles are probably the same in Spain: only vehicles that have been type approved on the spanish market can get a spanish reg. The French importer was very , very clever asking Caterham for a specific VIN number sequence for his cars so that it would prevent grey importing of used cars from the UK thus protecting his business (good on him honnestly *thumbup*)

to go back to your problem, I would not advise you to spent thousands to convert your car as it is likely not to guarantee your sucess in getting a spanish reg from their local authorities.

Easiest option :

1/sell your car in the UK, buy one in spain ...

2/ keep proof of residence in the UK and therefore keep your UK reg in Spain