Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Think of this winter; quandry...

alextangent

In a quandry *confused*

Three options this winter, looking for the combined power of BC to come to the rescue.

The 7 is a Q plate, 1993, leaded supersprint 1700, 4 speed onto an Ital, Ali body, standrad suspension setup, bench seats. Not in too bad nick; usual dings, cracks in the rear wings, crack in the front wing, no rot just the occasional flaky powdercoat; all cosmetic really. 26000 miles.

Options.

1. Replace the xflow with another xflow. The current needs a head refurb, unleaded seats etc. That's the thick end of 400. Plus, don't really know whats happening down at the piston/cylinder end. Could probably sell the AX block & head and part fund a new 135bhp xflow from Vulcan. Anyone gone this route?

2. Move to a Zetec. What kind of cost am I looking at here? Raceline's deal seems good, but I can't work out the total cost as I don't really know what bits need to be added.

3. Sell and put the dosh towards something a bit more up to date. What would it fetch?

4. Oh, and 5 speed. The 4 speed really isn't that great on long journeys.

So many possibilities

Cheers!

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

I was in the same position as you around 3 years ago.

I went from 4 to 5 speed using one of Brent Chiswicks kits.

I then replaced my Supersprint with a 2 litre Zetec.

It still scares the crap out of me when I press the loud pedal and I haven't even started thinking of upgrading it 😬

You can throw a lot of money at a Crossflow and get decent power. Then that's it - it's done, upgraded as far as you reasonably go.

You can spend less fitting a Zetec, then more in the future if and when you decide to "upgrade".

Raceline's Zetec kit will get you around 170bhp with the engine totally standard running on your existing carbs.

Upgrades (bigger carbs or injection, cams and headwork) will get you around 220/230bhp 😬

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Edited by - Se7en-Up! on 10 Jun 2008 22:29:27

Thanks. Rude question *redface* I know, but what was the cost of the Zetec install?

I thought if the 5 speed route, but hacking off the loop between the inner chassis rails just sounds like it weakens it. *eek* What stops the two halves separating, as it were?

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

Edited by - alextangent on 10 Jun 2008 22:37:20

Having been upgrading for over 15 years, I would strongly recommend selling the current car and buying what you want. The cost of upgrading will be more...engine swap, gearbox swap, brake upgrade etc etc, I will get my coat as many will have a different view. Selling the components will off-set costs a little, but suspect there is limited value there.

Emotional attachment will of course be one of the hurdles and understand fully if you want to keep it *wink*

As a starter 7, your car as it stands has a value as it stands...

Given market, there are a lot of cars out there offering good value.

Anthony

I bought the 7 3 years ago from the original owner, so I'm not THAT attached to it. But it's been a really fun car and excellent value for money.

I just don't want to spend a huge whack now. Say I could get 5k for it, plus 3k from my small wallet -- what would 8K get me? On the other hand, 3K is a lot of upgrade this year.

O dear, I can see I'm going to dither about this... *rolleyes*

Hi,

There appear to be a few 7's around the 8k mark including a nice 1991 x-flow. Having just been made redundent and started up on my own, I must not go and buy it...

Anyway, assuming 8k starting point and a further 3k, that puts you in nice 1600 road sport territory *cool*

Cosmetically may be a lot better, performance will be better, less tinkering ( could be good or bad position .... *wink*)

Or, 3k = zetec conversion from Raceline - there is always more too it, although the kit of parts is pretty comprehensive, and of course the need to modify the starter... (although then need brakes, and cosmetic works and, and, and...)

If you are getting good compression readings then there is likely to be little wrong wit the bottom end at 26000 miles. To get the 135bhp that Vulcan quote, is just an exchange head and possibly a remapped dizzy for unleaded (the standard Caterham dizzy is a little too conservative). All in should be £600 plus labour.

unless you are looking for major power gains.

Cheers,

Graham

------

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

I think 8k might be pushing it a bit *biggrin* as it's primary purpose in life is to have the nuts thrashed off it, so cosmetically it might not be up there with the polishers. In fact, to be honest it isn't the 🥰 looking example I've seen.

But tinkering is quite important to me. The nightly visit to Carlotta (don't ask, SWMBO naming convention for cars) and to tweek a bit more gets me out of the house and endless programs about sad gits -- East Enders, Hollyoaks, Big Brother etc.

Not looking for this to make financial sense either (i.e. turn 6K car into 9K car by adding 3K; I know it doesn't work like that).

So is the total cost consensus around 3K for the Raceline Zetec?

Anthony, best of luck in going solo, btw; I've been fired once and made redundant twice in the last 10 years, and I enjoyed the self employed bit. Financially it can be a bit scary, and IR35 is a real swine, but you really will enjoy it.

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

Mine is upto 36k miles and still has good compression on all cylinders. I would probably give different advice if the car is mainly used on track - in which case a Zetec or similar. Although, as you say, any later resale will not mirror that investment.

My car is used exclusively on the road, so the number of times it goes near the redline diminishes every year thanks to over zealous councils. With its original 13 year old, rear exit silencer, it is far too noisy for track work anyway *cool*

So your mileage may vary, but for me the least likely scenario is the Zetec as for road use mine is fast enough without being a licence loser - and if ever I wanted a trackday car a more modern chassis with a modern engine would be my preference.

For what it is worth, as a tinkerer, the double wishbone front end with Freestyle dampers, springs and ARB with AP four pots does transform the handling quite nicely.

Cheers,

Graham

------

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

I remember my Brother talking about upgrades with someone at Mallory on our first trackday in a 7. My brothers car was a 1600 crossflow, 4 speed, live axle with a rear exhaust. The guy he spoke to had brought cars along for the other punters and may have turned in to Caterham Midlands, sorry for being dim. *redface* Anyway, his advice was to spend the money on driving tuition to get more out of the car he had or sell the car and buy something else, the implication being the investment wouldn't be recouped. This is the line my brother went down, finally owning 3 different 7's with a Superlight as his last car before buying a Landy. *eek*

I bought a relatively cheap car which was generally the spec I needed, long cockpit, 5 speed and de dion. I had two crossflow engine failures before I put a Zetec in. Which is the second best mod I've made to the car after Freestyle dampers and springs. I bought my engine off a Westie racer so it already had a cut and shut sump and inlet manifold. The minimum I needed to get on the road was the engine mounts and exhaust primaries, but I also bought the alternator and mounting kit. Selling bits of crossflow paid for the engine and mounts. The rest plus ARP bolts, etc. cost about £750. I intend to buy further Raceline kit as I can.

I have an emotional attachment to my car unfortunately, which is why have probably spent as much as I paid for it in various upgrades and upkeeps.

If the car is fundamentally the wrong spec for you then sell it and buy something that is or is closer to it. If you love the car then treat it like your lady and lavish it with presents. (I resisted the quote from Lord Flashheart in Blackadder by strength of will)

NE Area Rep

Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,

We'll keep the red flag flying here

Alex,

For what it's worth from me I would sell the X/F and buy another 7 with the Zetech already transplanted. There's on for sale in the back of this months Lowflying that cought my eye for £8,200 (1993) but it does not say if it's a L/A or 4/5 speed box.

The difference ££££ between your's and something like this will only be relativly small.

I have a X/F with a Vulcan 1700 installed, DD and limited slip diff. Was tempted to the buy the above and swop the engines over then keep mine to sell the other on again. Sadly finances and technical ability on my part mean this is a 'no go'. *cry*

Richard *wavey*