Click here if you are having website access problems ×

High Level 3rd Brake Light

Dick Whittington

I thought I would post a picture of my high level brake light that I fitted over the winter.

here

I got it off of DemonTweaks. It is a proper Hella LED unit called ThinLite. It is very flat, waterproof and is held on the rollbar with heady duty Velco. I purchase Caterham's own sub loom to wire it in properly. Works great.

When I fit the hood I just tear it off and fit it to the cross-beam below which has a duplicate piece of Velco.

Dick

And all I ask is a fast car and a momo to steer her by

Edited by - Dick Whittington on 3 Apr 2008 16:41:42

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin: Yes, it is the CC one. Very easy to patch-in as long as you have got small hands to get up into the confined space between the tank and the bodywork.

SM25T: I did consider that but everytime I chop the wiring up on a car it is great for a while and then something goes wrong. More a sign of my electrician capabilities, I'm afraid. *rolleyes*

Dick

Edited by - Dick Whittington on 3 Apr 2008 20:46:09

Looks well. Good job.

One of our local guys has just fitted one of these

It's wireless. It uses two batteries, one in each end, and a transmitter off the brake light switch. He says it works very well, with only the tiniest delay between brake application and illumination.

Other, "helmet" brake lights are available, some that work with a transmitter in a replacement brake light bulb, see here for examples.

Just thought I'd mention it here for anyone else considering this...not to take away from your lovely install *thumbup*

Willie

*arrowup* - I think TINY hands would be a better description. It's was a pig of a job!

I've got the CC part - was one of the 1st to fit after the prototype. Never seen another 7 with this fitted. Okay, it's expensive at £90 but a tank of petrol in the tin-top now comes to over £75.

Blue Roadsport with silver stripe. . . . .it does exactly what it says on the tin! *biggrin*

gin-fizz-whizz: Yes, I was thinking of getting my daughter to plug the loom in but she was too busy sweeping the chimney 😬

Oposite Lock: That looks very interesting *thumbup*, I looked around for ages and could not find anything like that. I think "Seven-Up" Steve was looking for a wireless one. Does the light have to stay in the plastic case or is that just the packaging and do you have to change the flasher unit to a LED friendy one?

Dick

• 9 months later...

Doing some research about a slim 'High Level 3rd Brake Light' ... I came across this thread.

Could someone (Dick ?) provide some info about the wiring of this Hella Thinlite unit, preferably using the CC sub loom.

TIA *thumbup*

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” Antoine de Saint Exupery

I just used a voltmeter to work out which wires to connect to at the connector plug just inside the side skin between the fuel tank and the right hand wheel arch. Look for a 12V supply when someone presses the brake pedal with the ignition on, check that it goes off when they release the pedal - that is the wire to connect the brake light to.

I recently fitted one, to the roll bar, and used the CC sub loom. Although it isn't shown as a separate part on the website it is available for about 8 quid odd. It is the one that comes in the Hi Level brake light kit.

I fitted it okay, and I wouldn't say I have tiny hands, although with an SV perhaps there is more room at the back ??

I ran my wire down the rear roll bar brace and put some black insulation tape over it, looks okay, may try and do something more permanent later, but it looks okay as it is.

I will try and post some pictures to my sig link when I get home tonight

Rik

Roadsport SV 1.6 Sigma 150

in Viper Blue here

Yup, a short piece of loom (6") with plug and socket to fit between the connectors on the existing RH lighting loom, with another set of wires Positive and negative that I ran up to the filler area to meet the wire coming down from the roll bar mounted light

Means it can be taken out again for the next car should I want to.............

Rik

in Viper Blue here

Hi,

this is my solution of a third brake light (..it is not high level but works very good)

here

Best regards

Gerhard

Caterham CSR 200

MAZDA MX-5, NB, 1840ccm

Edited by - geko on 5 Jan 2009 14:31:51

Edited by - geko on 13 Nov 2011 10:23:41

..from a motorcycle shop, selfadhesive.

The wires are under the Reg.-plate and along the fuel tank to the connector of the LH rear lights.

I have only connected the brake light, the tail light is dead.

here

Manuf. is SHIN YO artno: 255-082 LED taillight superflat clear lense, e-marked

Exhaust: This is the standard silencer for CSR 200, EU4.

Best regards

Gerhard

Caterham CSR 200

MAZDA MX-5, NB, 1840ccm

Thx for all the info *thumbup*

Rik (WC) : would appreciate those pictures 😶‍🌫️, if possinle also from the actual connection of the CC sub loom to the existing RH lighting loom *wink*

Am a bit afraid of 'electrickery' … but with the CC sub loom this sounds like something even I can pull off 😳 😬

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” Antoine de Saint Exupery

Just to be 100% sure : am I right this here is the sub loom that's needed !?

Btw, car is a 2002 model, don't know if that matters.

Hi All,

Slider, photos should be accessible from links below, I tried to get one of the loom connection sut upside down with the camera stuffed between the chassis and the De Dion Tube, it hasn't come out too well.

The new connector is the one with the green and red blurred wire on it !!!!! As I mentioned before, I moved the pipe out of the way and was able to get two hands into the space (more advantages of an SV 😬)

The CC link is the one, just looked on my receipt, Part No. 76149, I paid £2.84 + VAT in November 2008, Which I am sure isn't right but there you go

Like SM25T said, the connectors are standard 1/4" blades crimp on type. I didn't want to cut the CC loom so the excess cable is coiled in the void behind the fuel filler cover and cable clipped on, more space and easier to get to

The light itself came from Autospares, Earl Shilton (£14.95) and is similar to the one shown on Myles site. Halfords do the same one at £25 plus

Alistair, whereabouts in Leicester ?? I am in Lutterworth, BM me if you want to come and have a look

here

here

here

Apologies if the links don't work, I'm a Linky Virgin !!!

Hope this helps, Slider, if you want any more photos, I could try again tomorrow, but its a bit cold for lying underneath it with an inch of snow outside still (perhaps I need one of Billyboys lifts *cool*)

in Viper Blue here

Windy Corner, I'm in Leicester Forest East about 4 miles from Caterham Midlands. Know Autospares in Earl Shilton....good local shop. I haven't got my light unit yet, I was looking at the SVC ones, but at nearly 50% of the price I will check out the Autospares ones first. Thanks for the invite to pop over, I might well do that before I get started, I will BM you to get directions if I feel unsure. *wavey*