Click here if you are having website access problems ×

converting race car to road legal

taffyracer

Been asked before fairly recently so perhaps do a search. I spoke to Caterham about converting one of their race cars they had for sale and they reckoned it would be around £3k and not worth the hassle. Much better to buy a road registered race/track car in the first place even if it has been stripped of some of its road kit. I expect the SVA is the big killer for this project!

HTH

T

I am doing this as we speak

You need

Heated screen, washer, wipers, mirrors (Or no screen) £350

Immobiliser £100

Cat Exhaust £250

SVA £150

Ignition key (barrell) is not essential £40

Remove 7 grill

Exposed nuts to be plastic caped

OK to have roll bar attached

Do you have a log book?

Your local DVLA office can provide a booklet and I have a technical support number some where

£3000 sounds very high - Its just time consuming and knowing your way round your car and what has been done to it.

gents,

having been partially involved in getting an SLR racer through, also need to consider ;-

Handbrake installtion

Lamps/indicators

potective trim/dash/wings etc

mirrors

steering wheel

CO2 emissions

The SVA near Dartford were really helpful

The 3k would seem a sensible budget for taking a racer, repainting and re-fitting, but clearly can be done a lot more efficiently in cost terms ;-)

Depending on the starting point you might need a complete new chassis loom. The ex track car I have only had a minimalist loom. New loom was £250 about 4 years ago.

My track to road legal project did indeed cost around the £3k mark. It all depends on how stripped out the car is when you start.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Can't recall everything I needed but it included a new dash panel and full set of instruments plus the installation of a worm gear on the gearbox output shaft which lead to a rebuild of the box whilst at Road & Race to replace worn synchros.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

i think you need a heated screen because the car can be spec`ed with out a heater thus meaning no form of de-mist (one of that was asked for by my checker on my sva test) so i think its a leagal requirement to have this function

Tweeky

In a purple haze