Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil pressure gauge

SMerK

Only been running my first 7 😬 a couple of months so all changes make me nervous *eek* Engine is 1,4k series supersport.

Oil pressure normally runs at between 4 - 6 on gauge. Closer to 6 when cold & 4½ when warm. When accelerating the needle goes up a small amount (½ to 1). Does this sound usual?

Last two days the needle has been starting around 6 as before but is more twitchy / jumpy and tends to stay closer to 6 longer but does end up around 4½. When slowing down / changing down at junctions & around town the needle jumps/ jerks up & down as high as 9 (new and scary *eek* bit).

When touching the wires behind gauge for a loose one the only thing I do is make back lighting go on / off but this does not affect the twitching.

Oil checked when engine hot and running as suggested for k series on the 7-up site. Oil OK in dipstick.

Ithink (hope) it is more a gauge issue than an engine one. Any ideas what going on? Anything else to check out? Any help to put my mind at rest welcome 😶‍🌫️

Ka7ie : -6°C, covered in mud & having fun....

SMerK

SmerK,

When accelerating the needle goes up a small amount (½ to 1). Does this sound usual?

Yes. Oil pump is engine driven, so pump speed/pressue will increase with revs.

If the guage doesn't show a rise in pressure when you rev...you're in trouble.

Willie

Thanks Willie - I thought it was normal but for years I've been driving computer designed & controlled, mass produced, sanitized boxes .... I now have REAL feedback from my vehicle to use / understand *cool* .... good to have the confirmation from you and to learn another tiny bit of the jigsaw *biggrin*

Apart from local meetings, how did we all survive before Website forum like Blat Chat? *confused* I keep asking questions & getting answers in minutes ....impressive.

SMerK

My 1.4 does the same. Sender works fine until in traffic or stationary.

Cold start 7-8bar

Hot idle 4-5 bar

Normal running under load 6-7bar

Track day idle 3-4bar *tongue*

5 minutes stood or in traffic, over scale

Left it alone for now, though heat shielding may be good idea for sender and alternator. Probably just fit the Racetech combined temp/pressure gauge eventually

I must remember that I'm in public

One of the most satisfying mods you can make to a STD dash is to change the gauges for better after-market ones. The factory ones are fine as far as they go and don't forget the factory has to build to a price. Checking the Search box at the top of this page for Oil Pressure [as has already been mentioned] will throw up a list of well researched options Happy Reading

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.