Click here if you are having website access problems ×

07 or 08 Busa Dilemma. Help!

The Pikey

Gentlemen

I am going fit a Busa in a new 7 but I can't make my mind up which Busa to get and here’s the problem..

07 Model: Its all been done before and should be easy to do. The MBE 992 ECU is available to go straight on it with a bespoke wiring loom. The output flange is a off the shelf part. It’s a brand new 07 178BHP engine with Suzuki ECU and loom.

08 Model: According to SBD Motorsport the MBE ECU will not work with this engine because instead of the normal 4 it has 8 injectors. But like the 07 engine this one also comes with a brand new loom and ECU.Its got a bigger output shaft so no output flange available of the shelf. It’s a brand new 08 engine with 193 BHP but costs £1175 more than the 07.

I don't really want to wimp out and take the easy route and I do like the idea of the new 08 engine in my new 08 car. But if I go for the 07 then the saving will pay for the MBE ecu and loom if the bike ecu is not preferred.

The output flange is not really in the equation because I have a guy who will make it for me at £40 for a run of ten. Which is ok because I'll sell the rest over a period, maybe

The real question is who uses the standard Suzuki ECU? Do they run OK in the Cat and what are their limitations also will the Suzuki ECU be mappable?

Which option would you go for?

Jason

Currently, I am qualified to plead ignorance.

even though i have one I am no expert on Busa's but learning everyday

if it was me I would go the tried and tested 07 route for simplicity, save some cash and have fun in it.

also you can get a little device to piggy back onto the ecu to get some more power, i think it is called a power commander or something so maybe that would be an option...

but as i have a 1400cc mistral unit I have got the MBE unit

rob *smile*

Did you find out if the 08 stock Busa ECU can be re-mapped? If it can, and you get one with your engine gubbins, this may be an idea.

A Power Commander is an option but not a good way of doing it as you can only tweek what's going on, not get it properly optimised - which you may need to do for emitions (that's spelt worng isn't it 😳).

I'm not sure if the Suzuki ECU can be mapped.

Also how easy it it link the dash gauges and lights to this ECU? Westfield told me that the loom needs altering and there are resistors to fit. I have not got a clue what goes where. This is going to be fun!

Jason

Dash - not done it myself but in principle . . . the Dash should get anything the ECU has via one lead(MBE 992 supports CANbus), this will include coolant temp, revs, lambda readings, maybe speed, maybe oil pressure warning.

Any data that isn't available from the ECU needs to be fed to the dash, e.g. oil pressure & oil temp. To wire these sensors, you need to use a voltage divider but you can buy cables from RaceTechnology which already have the correct value resistors fitted if you want to cheat ;-)

Jason

Alternatively i have a freshly built 1475cc tuned busa motor for sale

Steel crank/rods, bored out throttle bodies, gas flowed head etc. approx 210 bhp

Cost to built new was approx 8.5k. so i'm after 7k.

cheers

Dave

If you can get a power-commander for the 08 busa this will allow you to adjust the fuelling for emmissions (you will also need a decent CAT).

The advantage of the 07 busa engine is that it has loads of upgrades already available and as you say, you can get an MBE unit for it

Has someone crashed an 08 busa already? Where else can you get a brand new engine from?

Rob

Rob

apparently there are a few new 08 Busa engines about. They are from new bikes and will be used for drag racing but the 193 BHP Busa is not quick enough so its replaced with a quick engine *eek*

Dave

thanks for that but I've wimped out bought a new and unrun 07 from Malc at Yorkshire Engines.

All i need now is a Westfield wiring diagram to show how to change the Suzuki loom to suit. Anyone got one?

Jason

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 23 Jan 2008 21:03:46

Rollbar

Ive fired an email off to them for some ideas. Thanks

Metal Mickey

I would like to use the MBE ECU and I can live with 500 quid for the ECU but I am really stuggling to come to terms with paying £450 for part of the wiring loom for the engine.

Dave

I'll take a look at the MBE dash I I get one.

Thanks guys

Jason

Adam

haven't checked any of that but I will before I buy anything.

Metal micky

the engine is coming complete with Suzuki loom and ECU so I will have all the plugs. I also have the MBE 992 pin out and the MBE ECU plug is available ready to fit your own wires. The engine will be here next week but the kit won't be here till march so I have a while to decide which way I will go but at the moment I am edging towards buying the ecu and making my own loom.

Jason