Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Helmets.

Mickrick

What's the difference between a motor sport helmet, and a motorcycle helmet? Apart from a bike lid having a bigger apeture, and therefore having better periferal vision.

More to the point, would I be alowed to use a bike helmet on track? And, if I could, would I be considered a Cock if I did! 😳

Cheers,

Mick.

To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.

One fundamental difference is the emphasis on aerodynamic testing on motorbike helmets - so usually are considerably quieter in an air stream.

Not too important in a tintop, but if you are using a Seven with no windscreen on the road I guess it is important - on a bike the difference between a top end Arai and a bog standard helmet is huge...

O.K. so a lot of people wear them, so I won't look a complete tit! *thumbup*

I'm just thinking of trackdays.

I have one of these here and it's a really nice comfy lid.

I'm selling my bike, and I didn't really want to let it go with the bike.

But if I couldn't use it in the Seven, there wasn't any point in keeping it either.

Good, I can keep it. *wink*

Thanks for the replies! *thumbup*

One key difference I noticed reading the Snell "Helmet FAQs" page is that the M-rated helmets are not subject to the "rollbar multi impact test". Having a rollbar a few inches behind my head makes me think that might be a desirable feature, at least for me.

- Sean

Mmmm.....it is a great helmet. But the rollbar impact test is a good point *confused*

Although, if it's tested with a 3kg spike, on a 300mm drop test, for penetration, I wouldn't have thought a bit of pipe would be a problem. It's certainly got me thinking.

I paid a tad over 500 euro's for it, and it's not a year old. What would be a fair price to ask?

I believe you mean the rollbar multi impact test. As I understand it, bike helmets are tested for a single big impact as might be expected from a bike incident, but the wearer of a auto helmet is strapped in, and more likely to endure multiple impacts in an incident.

- Sean

I´m a new member of the Lotus Seven Club, but I´ve been

following this thread since it started. One fact that I would like to

add to the discussion regarding motorcycle versus car helmets is

weight. It is crucial that a car helmet has a really low weight.

The driver is strapped tightly to the seat (4-point belt) and in a frontal crash

the head and helmet will continue to move forward and the neck will be

suffering a heavy load, ie stretching. With a heavy helmet your neck might

resemble ET´s ! Of course a HANS device will eliminate this risk.

Lasse H

The word "Multi" wasn't lost on me, I was being lazy *smile*

Get high sided on a bike, and you can get a fair bit of hight in, before being dumped on yer 'ead!

I'm not going into competition, so I think a good quality bike lid like the Arai, should be adequate for the odd trackday.

I'll have a full cage, and like Roger says, padded bars.

I've only ever seen a Seven go over by clipping the rear wheel of another car.

That's where I've been going wrong! I thought the brain was just switched off. *biggrin*

Now, where's that DIY frontal labotomy kit?

I had a chat with the Arai man at Autosport.

Modern Arai bike helmets are stamped with the latest EU standard ECE22-05, which is NOT acceptable for motorsport according to the blue book.

My old Arai complies with British Standard BS 6658-85 Type A which is still OK for domestic events.

Mr Arai said that the EU standard is less stringent than the British one, hence not MSA approved, but the helmets had not changed. Obviously it costs money to have a product independently tested, so Arai just comply with the Europe-wide requirement.

Ergo a modern Arai is NOT kosher for UK speed events, but I would say it is absolutely fine for track days etc. from a safety point of view. I would certainly feel a lot happier in my Arai than in a crappy 100 quid polycarbonate job that DOES meet the standards (go figure!)

I have yet to have a scrutineer check my lid on a track day, but I apparently it is on the cards. Until then stick with Arai excellence.

Good article here feat. Mr Durrant!