Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Yokohama AO21 or Toyo R888

Bio

If I remember correctly the speed at which aquaplanning is LIKELY to become a problem is 8.7 times the square root of the tyre pressure (tread pattern is also a variable). Therefore any tyre which is run at the low tyre pressures that most of us use will aquaplan a lot earilier than a normal road car using 30 PSI plus.

Bertfatal

well whatever the dimensions , I can't think of any tyre that can replace the 21 *confused* it is the only tyre on the market that manages to be soft-ish compound , good thread pattern, acceptable wear rate at the same time ?????

even if there are stocks they will dry out so what's the point for John and Daniel to buy a set of 4 yoko 21's in say, 185/60/14. They will wear the backs before the fronts and will then ahve to throw away 2 perfectly good fronts , that would be a shame !?

Hi

For whats its worth - I was at CC 3 wks ago talking about tyres for the Superlight I have ordered.They said Avon were the tyres to go for and pointed out that Avon take 20mins to come off the prodution line were as Yoko take 2mins. The implecation being you get what you pay for.

• Leadership Team

FWIW,

When I bought my caterham it had 13 inch wheels and Yoko A021s. It had fantastic grip, and I never encountered any problems with them, irrespective of heavy rain or blistering sunshine - the only caveat was that they needed a few miles to heat up before they worked their magic. However they only lasted 3000 miles.

When they wore out, I replaced them by fitting a set of 15 inch prisoner wheels fitted with Toyo T1Rs. Instantly there is less grip, and the car is nowhere near a 'planted' on the road. They are impressive, but its unfair to compare them to the A021. However, after 5000 miles there appears to be no apparent wear on them. I run them at 14 psi.

Overall, if I could get a tyre that was 'hlaf-way' between the two, gave me a few more more miles than the A021, and a little more grip than the TR1s, them I would be O.K.

As an interesting comaprison, I also run the Toyos Tr1s on my Fiat Coupe Turbo. On that car they have a very different character (certainly due to the weight I think) - fantastic grip and they last about 8000 miles on the driven wheels.

Spoke to two of the main motorsport tyre suppliers today and was assured supply of Yoko Ao21 185/60/r14 would be ok for at least two years.

The Yoko does come very highly reccommended and will be my tyre of choice(but not as sexy as R888)

I was concerned about buying a tyre about to go out of production but two suppliers have said there will be no problem !!

Does anyone know more about the long term supply of these tyres

John *wavey* *wavey*

Hi Mark

New tyres next month (Yoko AO21)...Both boys car tax next

Just fitted new competion engine mount rubbers, cam belt, and new carbon rear stone gaurds

Getting ready for those long spring and summer blats

John

Hi Alan

No problem and if you have a manual cam belt tensioner I have the spring loaded tension tool. You need a new belt (there are two types depending on engine number and manufactured date) two new cam tensioner pulley bolts and six star bolts for the crankshaft main pulley to v belt drive

If you have the new type cam belt it will have an auto tensioner that can be replaced or converted to manual (talk to SBD vauxhall tuners)

All parts are available fron SBD or Vauxhall

The cam cover mod I can manufacture

John *wavey* *wavey*

John,

Thanks I will organise all the parts and let you know once I have got them. No rush just want to do it for peace of mind and I have never chnaged a cam belt before so need some moral support and most importantly some technical knowledge.

Alan