Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Powerspeed 4-2-1 or Caterham 4-2-1 ...... which is best ?????

Simon Owen

Can anybody clarify the differences (if any !!) between the Powerspeed 4-2-1 full system and the Caterham 4-2-1 full system.

i.e. are there any pros & cons to each system, how does the Cat system stack up noise wise.

Many thanks, one problem for me is that I’m looking for a one stop shop as I do not really have the time (or experience ) to fit it myself, it is a long trip to Powerspeed but not too bad getting to Cat Midlands (from south MCR).

Not managed to price the Cat system yet ??

Cheers,

Simon

I've had the Caterham 4:2:1 system on my car since 2002, no major issues, its on a R300 engine and I have never failed a noise test yet, its normally around 94db.

I've got the 7 inch race can, and its not repacable, which for me is a bonus *cool*

Simon, I can't compare the 2 but I have a Powerspeed system fitted, I am very happy with it, transformed the car, looks good and the quality of the engineering is good and they are nice guys to do business with. I know others have but I wouldn't want to have tried to fit it myself (they have cut the hole in the sideskin very nicely). I didn't have a cat put in the new system but had the original Caterham system modified so that it fits the Powespeed headers and I swap this back over for the MoT. When I looked the only 4-2-1 system that Caterham did was the old SLR system that could not take a cat, this may or may not be a problem to you and things may have changed but IMHO it didn't look as good as the Powerspeed system (and that was important to me) and it was more expensive.

Anyway not sure if that helps but I am a very happy Powerspeed customer.

Graham.

R7 GPK

Superlight #85

You'd think for that sort of money, you'd get a nicely finished polished can that you wouldn't need to cover with the guard! Even the pipework looks a bit heath robinson to me.

Oz.

Still Shaking

6 speed 1600 Supersport

with xtra DNA from DVA

I have a powerspeed 4-2-1 system on my 1.8 SS k-series car. It's been installed for about four months now and I've been very pleased with it. It totally transformed the car performance wise. Loads more kick at lower RPM and makes it rev much better at high RPM (I came from a standard single pipe Caterham exhaust).

As far as track day noise is concerned, I get a measurement of 94db on a hot engine @ 4500rpm. I now trailer my car to events and at the last one in December it tested cold, straight off the trailer, at 90db.

They're not cheap but they do look good and they work very well. I had it fitted by Powerspeed because I was too lazy to do it myself. It went on very easily (I was there throughout) but they did a much better job of cutting the hole in the sideskin than I ever could have done.

I'd recommend them, although the full system wasn't cheap at £922 all in, including the fitting. (Fitting is £90 +VAT). The place is a bugger to find because apparently they're not allowed to put a sign indicating where their premises is at the roadside!