Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Type 9 Gearbox Oil leak

rgrigsby

My BGH Sporting Close type 9 box's leak escalated from minor to "oh dear that's a very big pool of oil" at the marshalls sprint on Saturday. By the looks of it it's dripping from between the bell housing and the front of the gearbox. It's a Quaife Alloy case with a BGH lid, before I pull the engine out I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

I've checked all the externally accesible bolts and they all seem to be tight so I'm not quite sure what's happened.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Mine does that because i have an inch long, vertical split in the casing!!

Fear not though, as mine's a cast iron one and yours is posh alloy.

I believe mine is cracked because when i assembled the engine (Zetec) and box (non-posh type 9) the allen bolts i used were a knats member too long. It's tricky to explain without diagrams 'n' stuff, but when lying on the garage bench in a pool of its own oil, it seems easy to see why this happens....

...behind each of the four threaded holes on the g'box, it can be seen that the housing flares outward, so if the bolts are too long, they foul on the gearbox's sides and are forced outward.

I've since acquired a new 'box (£20 off eBay!), from which i intend to salvage a non-cracked maincase. This time, i'll use perfect-length bolts.

I've drunk lots of Peroni tonight, so i may be mumbling somewhat. Appologies there 😳.

Pikelet 😬

Now you mention small oil leaks from BGH modded boxes, I've got the same format as you Rob, with a Quaife alloy casing, but mine appears to be leaking from the rear section, probably the joint of the tail housing and the main case. It's been like this since installation, and I'm putting off taking the engine out to deal with it, probably a job for next winter. Trouble is I can't top it up as everything is too tight to reach and I don't know how much it's lost over the last 2 years. *eek*

Do keep us informed as to how things progress Rob. *smile*

Paul J.

Loud pipes save lives, but quiet ones save your hearing.

Don't know if this is true or relevant but I was told last week that the Duratec runs hotter than a K and therefore if you're doing a k to Duratec engine swap and are going to reuse the 6 speed box then you have to replace the front seal with one which can cope with the extra heat *confused*

I realise you have a BHG box but if there's any truth in the above then maybe your front seals gone? Of course there's the four bolts inside the bell housing but those coming loose wouldn't cause a leak so the only other possibility is a cracked case?

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures

here

Paul

I have a new road and track box with Quaife alloy case - assume it's the same as yours - which I just installed in the car. As it happens I filled the box up today without a problem, just got a length of plastic windscreen washer bore hose, taped it to the bottle of oil nozzle and fed it down the side of the box into the filler hole. Put the bottle upside down in the engine bay and cut a hole in the base of it to let the oil drain - took about 30 mins to get a litre in

I'm intrigued why you cant top yours up *confused*

here

Mike, it's more to do with the lack of space down the side of the CSR tunnel,it's fully lined with heat resistant foil and foam covering and I just can't get my normal cut down hex key in, and I can't lift the top cover either because it sits too far back under the scuttle to undo the back bolts, and sadly, I didn't think to request a top filler bolt, but that WILL be attended to when it comes out though. Have you lined out the inside of your tranny tunnel with this stuff?

However, I will have another go at the side filler before I give in a drag the engine out. *biggrin*

Paul J.

Loud pipes save lives, but quiet ones save your hearing.

Edited by - Paul Jacobs on 28 Aug 2007 14:27:24

Mike I had the dame problem with my BGH pig-iron box, turned out to be a hairline crack near the bottom gearbox to bellhousing bolt, caused by all that Duratec torque.

Changed to a Quaiffe case (and more powerful engine) all seems OK now.

my quaife allow case came with a shallow head bolt which I can get a ring spanner on - much easier than the old cut down allen key I used to use *wink*

No I don't have any insulation and I'm starting to think I should!

here

Good news on the gearbox front, 7 Indulgence have spotted the problem.

It turns out the small dished metal cover that fits over the speedo drive gear on the passenger side of the gearbox had decided it didn't want to be attached any more and was missing completely!

it's almost impossible to spot as that side of the gearbox is very close to the transmission tunnel and the cap is half way up the side of the box.

So new cap, refill with oil and a major cleanup of the oil spread all over the car and i'm on my way. 😬

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Glad yours was so simple. After my clutch let go at Spa, the resulting vibration opened up (or created ?) a terifying crack in the tailcase casting in the area of the gearbox mount which ran around 85% of the casting. It was only held together by about 2" of casting. Steve Perks of SPC did a very rapid repair at 6pm on Friday night. I can't thank him enough (or recommend him enough...)