Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil removal pump

Roadsport06

I will be doing my own oil changes on a VW 1.9 TDi, the oil filter is located high up and in a plastic case so no need to get under the car but I understand that getting the oil out the sump needs a cover removed and then a sump plate.

Has anyone used one of these for their oil changes, possibly not suitable with the k-series with foam baffle? here

BRG and Yellow nose VU06 XZX

I use one on my wifes car as it saves grovelling underneath to get to the sump plug and provided the oil is warm to start with it works a treat. *thumbup* I can get to the oil filter on her car without jacking it up so it just makes life a lot easier.

My son uses it on his Clio for the same reasons.

It will also work on the gearbox of your 7 if you want to change the oil or just remove it before lifting out the engine and gearbox and having it run out of the tailshaft.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 13 Aug 2007 14:40:41

Hi

Not used that model but I bought a HUGE syringe ( spelling *confused* ) from machine mart which does the same job. I think it was about a tenner.

Works well down the dipstick tube(however I also needed to buy a thinner tube to extend the supplied one.

Just used it on my Mazda as the local dealer who did the warranty /service put 1 pt too much oil in. You just can't trust them *mad*.

Born again sevener

1st time around back in 1991 *eek*

Hi James,

i have that exact model pump 😬and use it on the seven (dry sumped)and my smart (they have no sump plug) *eek* great bit of kit *thumbup*

Ditto to Dave above works a treat *thumbup*ten minute job and No mess *thumbup*

got to make sure it's at the very bottom of sump though,as there are a few ledges, that can seem like you are at the bottom,then just pump up twenty times, go make a cuppa and hey presto all done *thumbup*

Cheers

Mark *wavey*

Superlight R 400

I have just ordered one, I will use it for both tintops and after Easter next year I will have the foam baffle out of the Se7en and do the sump gasket mod. so I will then use it for all three.

Mark, I did read it on alot of SMART web pages, no idea that it was because there was no sump plug.

It should be good as I will now change the oil more often if it is easier.

Edited by - JamesHarding on 13 Aug 2007 17:59:23

Do a search in Tech talk. Poking holes in a certain place on the bit flat expanse of gasket on the exhaust side. Did mine a couple of weeks ago when removing the devils spawn !

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again. new link to photos

A word of warning:

Removing the "green" filter (as they call it because there's no metal parts) can easily become quite messy. The filter insert is of course soaked in with oil and needs to be pulled up from the canister 😔

ISTR there will be a drain plug in the sump though....

/regin