Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stuttering Fireblade any ideas?

DSL

Just had my first run in Caterham Fireblade, & its bloody good 😬

Except for a fueling problem ☹️ When giving it full throttle in any gear below approx 5500rpm, it stutters & revs very slowly then above 6000rpm it clears & off she goes *thumbup*

Full of fuel, can hear fuel pump, so am guessing at the carbs being out of adjustment

Or any other ideas 🤔

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure rather than a tech problems its not just that a 900 ish cc bike engine wants to rev not slog at less than half its max?

My blackbird even with a 1200 cc overbore honda ecu and power comander is not too happy If I floor it in say 5th at 5000 as it sounds like its having a huge gargle then clears its throat at 6000 and then flies to 11500 and the limiter.

Having said all that I wouldn't expect to have the same issues in first of second when it will take full throttle and hit the limiter before you know it.

The stack tacko doesnt really start until 6000 rpm which helps me keep in the stratospere and a smile on my face.

For what it is worth I certainly have to drive the bird differently to a car engine but I came down this road from bikes so am used to using all the revs but it is s a culture change.

Only prob is when i drive my day to day car i keep hitting the limiter at a quite pathetic 7500 rpm.

Hope you are enjoying the blade.

I tonight met stuart and his blade at the essex monthly meet and he might be along with a comment soon. Otherwise hello to all the becs.

Will

Its not just the engine not wanting to go as its too low in the rev range, a definate fuel or ignition lead stutter.

Pete it does have a box of electrical tricks on it, but only got it last night so not had much chance to have a proper look at it yet *thumbup*

But I just recon the carbs need adjusting *confused*

Was this a fully sorted car before you got it? Or is it a new build and therefore subject to teething problems?

If it is s/h, can the previous owner shed any light on the performance glitch?

I have heard of excess fuel pressure over-powering the float needles on carb'd bike engines. Is there a FPR that might need tweeking?

DSL

If it is a tech problem it could be one of a many things from simple to complicated but remaining the eternal optimist I wonder if not used for a while is a clue for you.

In my real bike days I occaisonally had problems after winter hibernation with sticking and generally gummed up carbs caused by the unleaded going off and evaporating to leave a varnish like residue.

I assume you have fresh fuel now but it might be worth a try with one of those additive bottles or sprays and a good thrashing to try and clean it up before you do major messing around. This usually did the trick for me although I still remember putting an exup back together after a strip wasn't my idea of simple but at least carbs make sense unlike all this electronic trickery.

Hope it is something simple.

Best wishes

Will

Tried the good thrashing skit *thumbup* 😬

Full tank of super unleaded too, but maybe it just wants a bit more use. We shall see *thumbup*

Would ring Rob at Mistral for advise, but he's just off on his hols & did'nt want to bother him. Not in a rush anyhow, other fish to fry this weekend 😬

DSL

I'm on the wrong computer but did we email each other about Rob at Mistral? If so hello again.

If we did or didn't for the record he is a top bloke and will be more than helpful as always.

I think he is off on hol today and think he doesn't do much on a friday usually anyway.

Where are you roughly and have you purchased the portofino blue blade?

Best Wishes

Will

I don't have a problem 😳, as there is still some room in the garage 😬 *thumbup*

To be honest its a bloody fab little car that goes round corner's better than any Caterham I have ever driven & thats on shot at tyres 😬

I recon alot of people are missing a trick with these Fireblade's, having driven one I just can't believe they aren't more sought after *confused*

DSL

Very well said. I think it applies to all the becs but suppose i am currently biased.

Proper little bit of exotic for sensible money. I wouldn't change other than for a 300 bhp duratech and even then I would be wondering if a turbobusa might have been even more fun.

I think the bottomn line to anyone thinking about a bec is just do it. You might decide all a bit intense but worth every minute even when trying to reach the manifold nuts!

Seems there are a few fireblades up here in essex. Are you miles away from the real home of burberry ? Stuart at the essex meet was kindly thinking about proposing a bec blat. Stuart are you out there and on the case?

If you have room in the garage I have a very nice prilla mille for sale. Mine from new and truly like new. If not sold for the winter I am putting it in the bay window to sit on whilst watching the telly.

Best Wishes

Will

If it has a dynojet kit the slide springs will be a sensible length and not 3feet long. You can also set needle height via circlip position. Std needles are of fixed length.

It should have main jets in the region of 128 to 132 (mine are132 although Steve Ellis had 128's in an engine that made 150bhp) and the central air bypass should be blanked off.

Experiment with the needle height. This is responsible for mixture in the range you are having issues with.

Bogging down is often over rich.

It was not unusual for these cars to have the main jets drilled. The Blade engine will run with very over rich mixture but the difference between a properly set up car and a bodged up one is amazing. My car pulls cleanly from 2k, made something like 138.9hp at emerald on 98ron and can give 40odd to the gallon.

Also check that all the diaphrams are in good order, set the idle mixture and get some decent kit to balance the carbs.

See My Caterham Fireblade Here.

If its on carbs it sounds like jet sizes and needle height, if its a whiting blade then the jets have prob been drilled out far too large. mine were drilled out to over 2 mm when i first got it. if you have the money take it to these people here or if you like to tinker yourself get some dyno jets from any good bike garage, and try a few different sizes in the car.

standard rrw blade has 122 jets fitted, i found mine runs ok on 128. Seven_nut took his blade to pdq on that link above and came out with another 8 bhp at the wheels, after there tuning session. i think they fitted jets about the 150 size *confused*

'Pinky Pics' here

Getting complicated now so I will shut up with my crap responses about varnish as you boys know your oninions from from your dynojets.

DSL- essex not far (on a trailer!)

Anyone had experience with pdq (good or bad) setting up fuel injected birds?

Finally count me in for an essex suffolk blat please.

Best wishes all

Will

Greetings all *wavey*

I took my 'blade to PDQ a few weeks back for a fettle. No obvious problems, just wanted to see if anything could be improved. After a few power runs, we started with 107bhp at the wheels.

So we:-

1. Changed the jets from 175's *eek* down to 155's.

2. Shaved off the top lip of the standard Honda air box (this added 1bhp).

3. Balanced the carb's.

The end result was 116bhp at the wheels (9bhp more Steve *wink*).

I'd recommend PDQ and I think it was Nick who worked on my car.

Will - The 'Essex BEC club' 😬 are going for a blat from Colchester tommorrow morning, leaving at 7.30am. Contact me if you wish for details.

Very interesting.....

This also happens to mine (2002 - Whiting Blade). Most noticable if it's not been used for a few days, sounds like traction control on the F1 cars (I wish *tongue*). After a good blat it clears it's throat and if used daily does not return.

I think my carbs are "standard" from 2002.

The PDQ treatment sounds good - but a bit far for me - anywhere up North?

Now, that reverser box is getting a bit noisy - any tips for an efficient change of chain?

Cheers

Rob

Sorry boys only just caught up with this.

Hope you had a good safe fast day.

For those who know me a 7.30 start is now a bit unlikely unless an airport is involved. Are the roads even open before 8.30?

Otherwise I would loved to have come but I couldn't have today anyway due to a promise to my son to play in the local father son golf comp which he would have killed me had we not gone.

Please give me a shout next time.

Will

Just back from a sucessful weekend at Loton park hillclimb & catching up on my thread, thanks for all the useful tips guys. Plenty to looking into there *thumbup*

Oh by the way PDQ are very good. Used them for rolling road & powercommander set up on A K6 suzuki engine that Rob at Mistral built for mine & Brodie's single seater, that gave 166hp at the rear wheels driving a quaife diff & two 250mm wide slicks 😳 *thumbup* *thumbup*