Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Servicing Frequency

Anthony Micallef

I have a 1.6k Supersport which is 2 years old and has done just over 25k miles. It was given a 24k service by Caterham before I picked it up. I am a bit concerned because in the service book it says the next one due in at 28k miles.

Is this correct? As the interval is only 4k miles what service should I book it in for if at all?

The Happy 7 Ownerteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gif

Edited by - anthony micallef on 17 Apr 2002 16:41:09

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

buda is right 3+6 your 24k you got at caterhams you should have new plugs oil and all filters also plug leads brake fluid ect ect the full works your next at 28k

is oil and filter and all cheked over it's only the classic thats every 3000miles

but if you just got the car was it all done or was this a sales pitch question.gif

fredid=blue> smile.gif

Fred, the service book has been stamped by Caterham for the 24k mile service. I would hope that all the work has been carried out seeing as the book has been stamped. The next available space has written on it "28k or Feb 03". I will definatley hit 28k miles before Feb 03. 4k interval seems very quick if you ask me. Dare I say it but perhaps Caterham want to generate a bit more money from me!

The Happy 7 Ownerteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gif

Edited by - anthony micallef on 17 Apr 2002 17:05:53

every 3000 is not bad if you drive them like most of us

you will find we change oil and filters more times than we change socks

the fact you have to take it to caterham to get it done makes it costly

have you not thought of doing most of it yourself .

fredid=blue> smile.gif

Just a note here to remind the non mechanical that clean oil is just SO important in terms of engine life; certainly the major part of these 4k services is the oil change and it is very cheap compared to a broken engine!!

Also while I'm at it (and I'm sure you know this but here it is again for reinforcement):

The water in an engine gets warm MUCH quicker than the oil. Just because your water temp guage has started to wake up DO NOT think your engine is properly warmed through - the block & oil take miles longer to reach an acceptable operating temperature.

I cannot over emphasise how much you wear your engine if you hammer it from cold!

(As I said, you knew already but it can't hurt, eh?)

I have the service check sheet at home on e-mail from caterham for each of the service intervals if anyone wants a copy, post here, and I'll send it this evening.

regards,

Martin.

PS. The 3k is for people who usually do less than 6k in a year (IE an Annual Service! according to Simon Lambert)

I too recently purchased my first car from Caterham, a 1.8K RoadSport. This was serviced by them before purchase. They marked the service record as the next one being due in 6000 miles or 1 year whatever the sooner. I don't know if the SuperSport needs interim service points as well, but this seems at odds with the advice given to Anthony.

I would be interested in a copy of the service schedule please.

Mav

Please can you email me a copy of service sheet.

Also does anyone know a good place in the southampton/New Forest area where I can get the cambelt changed (car is currently at 23000 mile 1996 K series) or is the best bet to get caterham to make the changes.

Many Thanks

Jason

Edited by - jnessling on 18 Apr 2002 13:23:44

Jnessling,

In theory, any shade tree mechanic should be able to change the belt on a Rover Metro engine - they might get a little confused as to why the gearbox has moved nut that is a different question.

Seriously, there are no 'official' service centres near you (Gloucestershire or Kent seem to be the nearest), but James Whiting should be a bit closer at Ashford Middx (top of the M3).

Cheers,

Graham

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!