Click here if you are having website access problems ×

6-speed gear oil change

pburt

I've just drained my 6-speed box (actually left it overnight) and measured the old gear oil at about 1.3 litres. It doesn't seem possible that 0.6 litres would have stayed in the 'box, so does this indicate that it has been running with that much short, or are the quoted capacities way out?

Would this explain a bit of noise and "chatter", particularly in 4th on the over-run ?(which is why I had decided to change the lube, to MTL, in the first place).

Not had the car long, so still learning - hopefully not the hard way!!

Peter Burt

RJ

Thanks for this. Gives me comfort that no damage has been done if it's only potentially been a little short.

I've read various posts about noise and ease of gear selection with the 6-speed box and there does seem to be wide variation (although this in itself could be down to individual's different perception, I suppose). There did however seem to be consensus on the benefits of MTL, so hopefully I will notice some improvement when it's all back together again. Shame that won't be today, as it's a perfect one for a blat!

Peter Burt

Will have to let you know. Won't be on the road again until next weekend at least.

4th gear noise does seem to be a common theme with the 6-spd. Is yours on the over-run too and goes away when you're back on the throttle (even lightly)?

Peter Burt

• 1 month later...

A month or so in now with Redline MTL and I can safely say that it has transformed the change quality of my 6-speed. No stickiness anymore and silky smooth, positive changes whether going up or down the gears. All weathers, all temperatures (!), short blats, long blats, consistently superb.

In terms of noise, however, I would say that there is generally a bit more whine and rumble than before (though no noisier than before in 4th). I reckon it's worth it for the significant benefit to change quality though. Well worth it.

Peter Burt

Is it the box or the diff - my diff makes a terrible racket in 4th/5th at around 40mph when you ease off the throttle. TADTS ......... but CC are going to look at it next weekend.

Can you drain the gearbox oil in situ, or do you have to remove box, or use a pump and tube through filler hole ? Like the sound of MTL

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again. photos

A month or so in now with Redline MTL and I can safely say that it has transformed the change quality of my 6-speed. No stickiness anymore and silky smooth, positive changes whether going up or down the gears. All weathers, all temperatures (!), short blats, long blats, consistently superb.

Cheers for the feedback, looks like a job to do when its raining again

R5 no 65 😬 *cool*

Is it the box or the diff - my diff makes a terrible racket in 4th/5th at around 40mph when you ease off the throttle. TADTS ......... but CC are going to look at it next weekend

I'm pretty sure it's the box rather than the diff. At least, that's where the noise seems to be coming from. Also, I'd say it's now noisier when stationary, in neutral, with clutch engaged (noise stops when clutch pedal down). Mind you, the WRC cars at Goodwood FoS sounded like a box of spanners in a tumble dryer when stationary and idling, so a bit of mechanical noise is no big deal, apparently!

The improvement in change quality is so marked, it feels like a completely different box now. Transformed by 34 quids worth of MTL - bargain!

I hope things go well at CC, SM25T. Let us know how you get on.

Peter Burt

Going in this weekend to CC for diff attention.

Ref draining gearbox - mine is a 5-speed (2002 vintage) - any info on emptying it ?

Last question - is Redline MTL from Redline in Caterham ?

And racing around to come up behind you again. new link to photos

Don't know about 5-speed, assume it's got drain plug like 6-speed.

Redline MTL is an American product (nothing to do with the Caterham firm). I got mine from Demon Tweeks - speak to Dave Kimberly and get 10% club discount.

Peter Burt

Is you car still under Caterham warranty SM25T ? If so check if MTL is an approved Caterham lubricant. ISTR reading something about this...

MTL is in common use but not approved of in all circles.

No doubt someone can confirm/correct me on this - just concerned if you do have any future gearbox probs you may be invalidating your warranty.

MTL certainly improved my 6 speed. (Taking the top off the 6 speed is the easier way to refill).

• Area Representative

Opie are currently offering Redline MTL @ £11.69 a US Quart (946ml) with club discount. Assuming you need 2 Quarts, if you add another £12.00 worth of gear to your order to take it over £35.00, they'll deliver FOC.

A couple of litres of the stuff are destined for the clunky (TADTS) 6 speed box in my Leon. I'm told by those who know that the Quaife 4 speed in my 7 prefers good quality EP80.

Crudders

Must have a word with my mate Simon at Opie then !! (Customer of ours).

Edited - Richard - does that mean you are about to order some MTL ? Shared purchase ? Assuming MTL IS recommended for a 5-speed box ??

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 20 Jul 2007 14:07:50

• Area Representative

Ian - it's probably easier to make up an order over £35.00 to take advantage of Opie's free delivery, as I probably won't see you for a couple of weeks. How about some decent Castrol brake fluid?

I can't answer your query on 5 speed gearbox oil I'm afraid. Phil Stewart @ Road and Race Transmissions will be able to tell you - 01959 525105.

Crudders

Thanks - I was afraid of that - time to look for a manual- or drill-operated pump. Assume you can get a tube in filler hole, and down to bottom of gearbox ? I saw one at Bromley Pageant, and thought - no - what use would I have .....

The beauty of hindsight !!

Thinking of checking my 6 speed gearbox oil level for the first time. Can anyone clarify the correct size of allen key required for the drain/filler plugs as I guess I am going to have to cut an allen key down to use it in conjunction with a set of pliers.

Thanks in anticipation Dave

'It's a big thing to be small'