Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Throttle Cable

Tigger

When I was at Castle Combe a couple of weeks ago I suffered a broken throttle cable, fortunately this happen on the final lap of the day and just before the pitlane entry (phew).

Time has come to fix it, from what I have read in other threads it seems that a cycle brake cable can be used, but one observation I've made is that the lug on the end of the throttle cable (TB end) is longer on the OE cable than that on the Cycle cable, is this going to be a problem.

Also what method have others used to terminate the pedal end....?

Many thanks

Tim

I read on here recently somewhere that someone had one brake and had it replaced with a bike cable as a temporary measure, in France I think. It got them home but broke next time he used tha car as it wasn't up to the job. A proper cable won't be too expensive and will seem 'cheap as chips' the dark, wet, cold December night you find yourself sat on the motorway hard shoulder with a broken cable.

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Watch out, whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly

• 2 months later...

Useful to know.

What Seven is this for ?

If a k-series, is it a common cable for all engines ?

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again. new link to photos

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 30 Aug 2007 12:37:05

Hi,

One of the issues I found was that the cable enters the pedal box at an angle and the throttle pedal pulls the cable at a steeper angle thus straining the cable. I have adjusted the arm on the pedal so as the cable does not change angle too much....so far so good!

Also the cable snaps as some good people do not have a throttle stop so at full tilt the cable is being stretched...amazing how much pressure you can exert with a leg!

A bit of work but if it saves a breakage?!

Charlie