Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front brake pads

Piers7

I have a 1.6 Superlight with the AP 4 pot calipers and standard pads on the front.I also have the upgraded master cylinder. I went down to the 'Ring last weekend and had a great time, although i wasn't that impressed with the braking of my car. The pedal is very firm and needs a lot of pressure to make them work, however the ultimate stopping power didn't really impress me. I didn't even lock the brakes once! Is this a case of me just not pressing hard enough or would it be worth upgrading the front pads/disks? There seems to be plenty of meat on the current pads and disks. What are the best one's to go for? The car is mainly used on the road.Any advice much appreciated. *wavey* *thumbup*

Piers

Superlight #115

Piers

I have the AP's on mine and changed to Mintex 1144 a couple of months back, they were about £55 from Performance Braking I think. They've transformed the stopping power of the car enormously and I would recommend them. I don't know how well they'd cope on a track as I only use mine on the road...........so far *wink*

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Watch out, whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly

Thanks very much Ric, i may give the Mintex pads a go in that case. The Pagid's are about £130 a set! As the car is mainly used on the road i'm not sure the Pagid's are really worthwhile.

Superlight #115

I am havin problems with Pagid RS15`s. For years I have run with RS14 all round with uprated front and rear brakes. I recently fitted RS15`s on the front and find them great on track but the road they are not worked hard enough and glaze up resulting in very little intial bite from a pad that was specified as a high torque pad. For me they are a step too far and I shall go back to the RS14`s.

Fitted RS14's to the rears and RS15's to the front last year. They have been superb on the track, I don't use the car much on the road, so haven't noticed any issues with stopping power - or perhaps I just don't use the brakes *cool*

What pads are put on the car out of the factory (4pot AP's)? Given mine's done just 5k miles, I suspect they're the original (7 year old) pads still? Also, I think at least one of the discs is very slightly warped - although not badly - so may look to change pads and discs this summer.

I've voiced my opinions before on brakes. On a car as light as a 7 the standard front brakes are more than adequate with correct pad selection. You just have to remember that there is no servo and so you have to operate them with a firm hand (or foot!) The rears *may* overheat but the fronts will take loads of abuse as there is plenty of air around them.

With this in mind the upgrade MC plus 4 pots and if you really want vented discs should be *scarily* effective.

My car has Triumph calipers/solid discs and I can stand it on its nose under braking if I want to. You can lock the wheels easily as well but to be honest there is so much feel that you don't. In any case by the time you approach the limit you are losing speed so fast your eyes are out on stalks. I've been out in Angus and Tessa's car and that's the same, it's the first time as a passenger I have ended up suspended from the harnesses under braking *eek* *cool*.

Do a search and you will see that previously I supported Pagids

now I've moved onto Ferrodildo DS3000

MONSTER braking !!!!!!!! better than RS14 / Pagid blues which were way better than Mintex 1144's *smokin* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

and only £85 delivered *cool*

here is C7 TOP

Taffia Area Rep *thumbup*

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 17 May 2007 10:45:16

Thanks for all the advice chaps *thumbup* Re the Ferodo DS3000, there's a message on their website that says 'WARNING: DS3000 is NOT suitable for road use' Are they exaggerating here Dave?

Superlight #115

[annoying fecking dog head]

Ohhhhh yesss

they are fine on the road and offer more initial bite then Pagid or 1444

I havent had them squealing but I have only done a few hundred miles with them and My pagids didnt squeal either .

here is C7 TOP

Taffia Area Rep *thumbup*

*thumbup*

DS3000s all around on Caterham/AP calipers. All other pads I've tried resembled cheese at one point or another in their heat cycle.

The initial bite is quite pronounced, yet easy to regulate. There is a difference between ice cold pads and properly warmed ones. It''s a very tiny difference, nothing like the old DS11 metallics.

FWIW...My front DS3000s do squeal quite a bit though.

-Bob

94 HPC VX Evo III

I'll never ever fit a set of ferrodo's to my car ever again. They destryed themsleves by welding onto the disc at the rear following a short road drive - and the handbrake was not applied at any time *mad*

Mav - sounds like you must have had a binding caliper, can't think of another reason. No friction, no heat.

If De Dion and the Nylon lock nuts adjusters are wound up too tight, the handbrake can be 'on' with out it being on... if you get my drift.

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here