Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sweetest Seven Motor?

Immovable Object

Great - thanks all for the advice. I will keep my eyes peeled. *eek*

I have RSS feeds coming in from both Blatchat and Pistonheads, so fingers crossed, something could come up anytime....now if only a yellow or orange one with LOTS of carbon on it would pop up. (Cant help it, i dig lairy colours)

Because it is made with a number of secondhand parts. A new plate (xx 07 xyz etc) is only for cars with all or nearly all new parts. Caterham used to get away in the past with reconditioned secondhand axles or engines but there is a totting up process and more than one used item typically tips you into a Q plate.

Keith,

Welcome aboard. Six months ago I got a 6-speed 1600 Supersport with Superlight suspension and big brake package WELL within your budget. They are out there if you're patient and look around.

Alan

The existence of chance is everything and nothing whilst the greatest achievement is the living of life.

1.6SS .... after 10 years finally upgrading but during all that time it never missed a beat, did probably about 5K track-miles (and they were not slow) plus 60K road miles. If it was not for being pissed off on the straights compared to >BHP cars I still would go for the same engine ... it just did not want to die (Appolo tank, enough oil and water plus an eye on the temperature thingy)

FWIW, despite being an old engine the xflow ain't exactl asthmatic *rolleyes* My boggo 1700 Supersprint seems to keep up with Porsche GT3's and M3CSL's just fine on trackdays and it makes a luvverly noise at the same time 😬

If you want it all at the top end - and more BHP/litre - then a nice modern 16V is for you. (the xflow is a 40 year old design after all)

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

Ok, I'll mention it. Can't compare it to anything else since I haven't driven the 7 with any engine but a Zetec SVT. I think it's a sweet motor. Good torque / hp, sounds nice (burbble burbble) and isn't afraid to rev.

*tongue*Oh, it also tends to keep the oil inside so you will have to WD the chassis rails yourself.

Tell you what Immovable, Zetecs are seriously good value on here. They are a Cinderella model on a Q, everybody goes for the more obvious choices and they go for next to nowt compared to a similar output K. They are very slow to sell and if you plan to keep for a few years then I'd give one a drive. OTOH if you want a fast resale in a year or so, go for a 1.6 kss as they are the bread and butter choice with high demand.