Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which width road tyres do the 200bhp+ boys prefer?

Atinod

Using 13" wheels, the maximum sizes seem to be:

CR500: 205/55/13

AO48: 205/60R13

R888: 205/60R13

ACB10: 8.0/22.0-13 [245/45-13]

I have the wider [335mm] rear wings fitted at present for running 10" slicks [rather than the standard 300mm].

From an aesthetic point of view, 205s won't look good with the wider wings, even adjusting the offset, but the ACB10s will.

I could buy standard wings, but then would I have a problem being allowed to use the slicks for track days with them extending beyond the wings *confused*

Which is the best tyre width for 200bhp+ [ignoring the wings] *confused*

Edited by - atinod on 29 Mar 2007 15:08:20

• Support Team

I guess the danger is that if you go too wide at the rear then the car will seem undertyred at the front and may end up understeering everywhere. I've got CR500s 175/55 front and 205/55 rear on 6" and 8" rims and when I first moved to that combination it took some changes to dial out the understeer. Car has 227bhp K series.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

The understeer issue should not be a problem if the base set up is correct, you need a difference in tyre front rear tyre section to get the best charateristics - goo too wide on the front and she'll feel like an Aston - with at the turn in precistion of a barge *tongue*

I'n running 200+ with 185/60 x 13 on 6" rims up front and 205/60 x 13 on 8" rims following behind both shod with R888's *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Too young to be old !

Yes, you seem to be correct Pertolhead, thanks.

It seems that CR500s could be the way to go, but, am I right in thinking that slicks are cross-ply and ACB10s are too *confused*

The car is set up for slicks already, so might ACB10s be the best choice to unbalance the handling the least *confused*

Thanks for all your comments *thumbup*

James