Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Remap of CSR200

Darren Harrold

Sturat

having just bought a used CSR (factory built in Oct '05), it is going back to Dartford (next week) to have some mods done at CC recommendation, that include having heat insulation panels applied to the engine bay and tunnel (10 hours work - engine/gearbox out, etc).

This is meant to be a 'cure' to the excessive heat transfer through the cockpit of the car - we'll see.

edited to say Oct '05 not Oct '07 - I know it's fast, but . . .

DD02CAT

Edited by - Dizz on 6 Jul 2007 13:23:11

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was building my car the news of the CSR came out and I was tempted to hold off to get a CSR200. Asit was it wasn't going to be available as a kit or std chassis so I built my own dureatec engined car..........how glad I am that I did.........and without all these problems people describe *smile*

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

Same here Simon. I actualy flew over for a test drive of the CSR260, and to be honest, the attitude of sales put me off. They couldn't garantee a car would be there for me to drive untill the last minute, even though I explained I was travelling from Spain. When it did turn up it was a shabby high milage press car, which didn't seem any quicker than my old R300.

They were very inflexible with the spec. So I couldn't get the car I wanted, hence building my own.

Mike Thodeson summed it up when he sold me my R300 "The cars sell themselves" and, "If a customer is about to walk, let them walk, as there'll be another right behind them" Shocking attitude I think. I also think this is there attitude towards people who have spent close to 40K for a toy. They're enthusiasts, so they can tinker with it themselves, while we fob them of with TADTS. To suggest there is no fix is utter bollocks.

But CC stll get my custom because I want one, except I will source some of the stuff from elswhere.

The older I get, the faster I was!

Sonicsaab, interesting what you say about "aint harf a jerk on the box when the Ausi animal creeps in!!! Suppose it would focus CC on the problem if a prop shaft or something alike breaks as a result". I am starting to get som real slack on the propshaft UJs. If I take it out of gear and coast it 'thuds' at every 360 degrees and if I feed the clutch in there is a real clunk as it takes up the drive. I wonder if this is perhaps a result of the drivetrain shunt as it was not there 1,000 miles ago.

I want to keep these comments coming so I can talk again to CC.

CoSwoRth it!

As promised, I said I would report back from my CSR being with CC for a week for some mods to be done. In true CC fashion, I'm a arm and a leg short *rolleyes*, but I guess it was worth it. OH YES, BOY IT WAS WORTH IT *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

A big thank you to CC guys for the result = no kangarooing *biggrin* *biggrin*

Included in my mods was an "updated ECU with latest Map" together with "updated throttle return springs". What a difference ! I recon it's 90%, yes 90% better and the 10% is probably me learning the car. I've had it flat-floored as well and the drive back from Dartford to Portsmouth (the long way round, of course) was absolutely awesome, EVEN at round-town speeds which previously were a nightmare. As I said, no kangarooing.

So there is a solution - well for me anyway. Is it due to the new ECU map or the springs or both ? O.K. chaps, it looks like CC have an answer for you.

Again many thanks to James G and the team at CC - a result for me *biggrin* *biggrin* *wavey*

DD02CAT

Before I consider this route would like to check how much one arm and one leg costs

The throttle spring work was quoted as 5 hours. I would guess that the update to the ECU would be half-an-hour with a computer. CC currently charge £54 per hour + VAT.

Irrespective of the cost, in order to eradicate the violent kangarooing effect, to me, this was money well spent. The car was very expensive and the cure was comparitively cheap.

I DO NOT dismiss the argument that CC should fix this for free, but my first task was to have a driveable car therefore, task 'one' completed *thumbup*

Hopefully, my test case has proved a solution can be obtained from CC. Whether the re-map alone is enough who knows - who wants to give it a try ?

DD02CAT

I cannot possibly fathom why Caterham would of thought it acceptable to charge for this rectification work. All you are getting from this mod is what you paid for in the first place, after having put up with a less than sorted car for over a year whilst they dawdled to come up with a solution *thumbdown*

Its exactly this sort of treatment that makes people reluctant to buy a new low volume sports car in the first place, at the very least when spending serious amounts of cash on a toy, you would expect genuine complaints from a number of owners to be the number one priority to get resolved before releasing more cars with the same fault to other soon to be disapointed owners ☹️

Its such a short sighted way to treat customers, as the good will for these cars is so great that we can & do overlook so many minor failing, but this really is a poor show in my opinion.

Dizz, great to hear someone has had success with the new updates.

My understanding from CM, is that there are:

New map's for CSR200's & CSR260's

New stronger throttle spring for 260's

Oil cooler for CSR200's recommended

From my own experience a stronger throttle spring helps with the drive chain introduce "roo" effect. (Rather than map induced)

Still waiting to find out about over cooling solution (stat being forced open by water pressure above 5000 rpm)

Regards

Darren

CSR230

The last point is very real, and has been a little overlooked with the remapping issues.

It doesn't happen very often at road speeds, because there isn't a lot of need to rev the motor passed 5k very often, and when you do, your full attention is needed on the road, not looking at the guage. The problem is, what harm is a slug of much cooler water doing to the block, when it is circulated at higher revs?

It will be interesting to see how easy it is to get hold of this new map and a set of springs without paying even more *eek*

Paul J.

Loud pipes save lives, but quiet ones save your hearing.

• 4 weeks later...
My understanding from CM, is that there are:

New map's for CSR200's & CSR260's

Is this definately the case, because I've asked about ECU updates for the 200 in the last 2 weeks and been told there is nothing. (Asked Aftersales at the factory)...

I sent my ECU back to James Gibson for a free remap, [for which many thanks] and it's certainly no worse! Probably a littlebetter, but apparently the stronger throttle spring is whats' really needed, and James kindly said that they'd install it on my car if I could get it back to the factory, or failing that, send the TBs back during the winter off road period. I suppose it shouldn't be too difficult to attach a temporary spring in the meantime though.

How's the CSR coming on Mav?

Paul J.

Loud pipes save lives, but quiet ones save your hearing.

Paul,

I'll be sending my ECU to James when I get back from Spa. It's just about finished the rebuild / repair and I have a few bits and pieces to sort out (to my satisfaction).

Early test drive (literally 600yds) show it is a complete pig to drive at light throttle / low speed.

I've discussed this with James and await the solution that he indicated is being worked on, in conjunction with another '200' owner.

I'll let you know how it compares after we've done the track day next week. 😬

• 4 weeks later...