Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best petrol

Griff

It's a K, about 150hp.

Just came across this site which suggests that Tesco 99 Super unleaded is the bees knees, even compared to the BP & Shell options. Handy for me provided there are no other unexpected additives...

Anybody found it as good as they claim?

Honest John (Saturday Telegraph) recommends (as I recall) Shell or Texaco for best detergents/additives, etc.

Personally, I go for Shell every time - V-Power when feeling frisky

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again.

The TMS article made interesting reading but I must say that I haven't noticed any performance increase when using higher octane fuels.

Quote: "This apparent gain in power is due to the ECU of the car’s ability to advance the ignition timing to take advantage of the extra power the higher octane offers. Looking at the air/fuel ratio on the charts does show that the higher octane fuel allows a more efficient burn creating more power. "

Is this correct? Does the ECU really detect higher octane fuel and advance the ignition timing accordingly?

• Support Team

2 reasons for using premium brand fuel:

1. Additive package

2. Higher octane fuel appears to have a cooling effect on the engine, expecially on track.

and in my case the car was mapped on Optimax!

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 14 Mar 2007 17:05:51

You do get an extra margin of safety against predetonation using higher octane. I use it on track days just in case.

Always felt like my zetec went better on optimax though. Now I'm confused as to the branding and just use 95 RON

Testing my Chemistry here ...... the smell from fuel is evapourating olefins. These olefins are good in gasoline as they are high in energy due to double-bonded carbon atoms, but they're expensive to produce in a refinery - you need a cat-cracker as olefins are man-made and don't occur naturally. Cat-cracked gasoline has a standard RON (before additives) of 92, versus 66 RON for straight-run gasoline (i.e. straight out the CDU - Crude Distillation Unit). The more cat-cracked (olefin rich) fuel is used in the blend - (all finished grade gasoline is a blend in domestic markets), the less additives such as MTBE (115 RON) and Ethanol (132 RON) are needed to boost the RON and the 'cleaner' the end result.

'cough' (geek) 'cough' *rolleyes*

Anyway ...... the moral of the story is the smellier the fuel better.

Where am I?