Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing x-flow with a k series

Mikey UC

I’ve decided to put the old x-flow engine out of its misery and replace it with something a bit newer.

So after checking with Bruce of Arch that a k series would fit, I now find myself with a 1.8 k series and Caterham bellhousing and sump from blatchat and a few questions…

I assume that mating the engine to the type 9 ford 5 speed box, I use the standard k series flywheel and clutch with a ford clutch plate, is this the case ?

I need to get my propshaft shortened by about 8cm as the k series sits further back in the chassis. Anyone know of a company that can do this in Berkshire / Oxfordshire ?

I intend to use my Weber carburettors and the Webcon 3d ignition system, but I need to find an inlet manifold. Demon Tweeks do one but want £200 + theft for it, dose anyone know of a company that makes manifolds, to see if I can get it cheaper direct.

Many thanks for any help *smile*

BAGPUSS 1600 Classic - a bit tatty around the edges

A K series on Webers Wow thats unusual why wouldnt you just run with the K managment

A couple of reasons, - the first is having to get the tank converted for injection, the second is getting all the relevant fuel pump ,ecu and wiring bits (although I do have the injectors and manifold ), but most of all I would miss all the pops and bangs I get from the webers.

Does anyone make a Carb inlet manifold that allows for the fact that the engine is tilted over to one side slightly in a Caterham

That’s the bit that could scupper the whole thing, the chap from demon tweeks didn’t know if the manifold allowed for the engine tilt, hence why I would like to try and speak to the manufacturer.

I hope it does allow for the engine tilt, as I think the standard rover k series is installed with a tilt to the front of the engine bay, and I have seen a k series with webers, it turned up at the Oxford meet ( when at the Checkers ) but it was quite a few years ago.

Bogg Bros do some nice custom manifolds to mate bike throttle bodies to various engines

I am sure they would be able to knock you up something appropriate.

The hole in the bonnet would be in the wrong place (by 8cm) but you could try to get away without one, with the tilt of the engine and the extra width in the chassis further back.

Nick

Surely you could sell the webers and buy tank for the equal costs? Depends if the K you bought cam with engine wiring loom and ECU/5AS/blippers etc. Does seem like a strange idea though as there are so many spares on BC that you could get to make it all run (just buy ECU etc from someone going emerald).

*thumbup* if you go webers though.

Mikey, Have you spoken to Webcon ? They certainly do a K series kit which uses their own TB's which are identical in their dimensions and fittings to DCOE 40 Carbs ? As a consequence their TB manifold 'may' fit. Don't know if they allow for the engine angle though as their K series kit may be for the Metro only, but it would be worth asking.

Jenvey make TBs which fit as direct replacements to Webers, IMHO these are a better bet than the Webcon kit. Johnty has these on a fabricated manifold although they will fit a s tock Weber manifold. the only bugbear with an off the shelf manifold is that the spacing is poor with respect to the head.

oily

Thank for the suggestion Mark, it would solve a lot of problems with the Webers.

However I have used up all my play money for the moment on a 4-1 manifold and a lightened flywheel, so I’ll have to leave the induction side of things for a bit.

Incidentally, would a 1.8k with Webers put me in to class 4 ?

I did think about the Zetec, but the beauty of the k series is the number of second hand parts available, so far I have only had to buy a passenger side engine mount new from Caterham.

Also the k series really is incredibly light for its size, I actually managed to lift a complete 1.8k with alternator and injection unit out of my car and stagger to the garage with it, which I couldn’t have done with my old x-flow.

(Although I did spend the next half an hour recovering from the experience)

Michael, yes I have that issue, it’s the green and black seven. I think the chap who did that conversion paid quite a bit for it, including throttle body injection.

Mines going to be more at the cheap and cheerful end of the range. *wink*

Edited by - Mikey UdaleClarke on 1 Mar 2007 10:57:46

Edited by - Mikey UdaleClarke on 1 Mar 2007 10:58:24

Hi unclefester Im not sure with that year car but I think its the same, mine was a new chassis but ring Chris at Raceline 01483 811978 im sure that you would just remove the X flow and the zetec gos stright back in its place, you will need Racline engine monts and I used a raceline sump and water rail and its very sucessful hope this helps Regards Paul