Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham Harness / Buckle

Sandy

My buckle points up instead of down (having handed its position from wheel side to centre side to prevent damage to side skin)

Do I take the back off or the front to rotate the spindle?

(There is a sticker over the front so assume this would become sacrificial?)

Rather than completely swap the harnesses over from left to right (or vice-versa) to get around the buckle being on the 'wrong' side of the cockpit on the passengers side (RHD) and potentially denting the external skin outside the car, it is possible to remove the back plate and reposition the non-opening pin - diagonally across from its original position - hence 'attaching' the buckle to the inside harness strap.

This method avoids the release mechanism from pointing upwards, rather than down, as you're suggesting. Swapping the non-opening pin with its opening opposite number is simple - but if you do unscrew the rear plate, be cautious of the pressure springs...!

Pierson

Little Bob - I don't have pictures, but I can offer you the assurance that it's far from a difficult, complicated or 'risky' job.

I, too, am a mechanical numpty (perhaps we should have our own club sticker) and I managed it on my own. Without assistance. And didn't cock it up.

So it really must be simple - trust me. Just be careful when removing the back plate as there is at least one spring in the mechanism, tensioning the buckle twist (you can probably feel it when you snap the buckle closed).

I love taking things apart - it's putting things back together again that foxes me. But this little job was simple.

Pierson

(Several) pictures worth (lots) of words.

It looks as if Sandy's original issue about inverting the pointed buckle release handle can be sorted without having to delve inside the mechanism - the square locating nut looks as if it will probably permit a 180-degree rotation. Easy-peasy.

Pierson

Sandy, I did this the other week on mine. Depending on exactly which QRF you have, you may not need to remove the back plate.

Mine went exactly as shown on the page linked to above (And for ease, here too)

You can also take the QRF from the car without removing the harness and work on a table in good light.

There should be a small hole in the back of the QRF behind the locking pin - a small metal proddy thing (I used a small allen key) will fit in and push the pin clear so you wriggle the fitting out of the buckle.

Hope this helps!

Green and Clammy

Edited by - Bloggsy on 20 Feb 2007 18:13:38

• Area Representative

I'm with Gareth on this one. Surely if the buckle is upside down you will have 1 slot (crutch strap) facing up and 2 slots (shoulder straps) facing down. The only way to do it is to dismantle the buckle and swap the laps straps over. Or am I missing something?

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

www.lads7.co.uk

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

• Area Representative

"Did the swap last night and I was right - Gareth"

So was I. *smile*

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

www.lads7.co.uk

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Edited by - Paul Richards on 23 Feb 2007 09:13:31