Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can I use the standard ECU

neil.cavanagh

I have an '03 140bhp X-power 1.8 k series, running the standard ECU at the moment.

I have a set of roller barrels, and a large valve ported head with piper 285H cams to install on to it.

I will be procuring an Emerald ECU but this might take a month or so to arrive. So, as I'm an impatient bugger.

can I

1) install roller barrels on current standard head and cams and run it with the standard ECU?

2) Intall ported head with 285s with standard plenum and ECU.

3) Install ported head, 285 cams and roller barrels and run on standard ECU.

Basically, will the car run properly under either set up, or will it be too lean as it will be sucking in more air but with the ECU providing too little fuel??

No...

Neil, about seven years ago, when I first fitted an Emerald, I had the odd issue with starting a semi-warm engine. When this happened I would plug the loom back into the ECU (which was still in situ) and the engine would bust into life, I then would switched back to the Emerald and started the car as normal.

On one occasion I forgot to switch back to the Emerald, I started the car and tried to drive it - the expression three legged camel springs to mind.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

I ran An identical spec of engine with a big valved and ported head for one season on the standard EU3 ecu before then fitting BP 285H cams and Jenvey throttle bodies along with an Emerald. *thumbup*

It ran fine for that season with just a 'squeeze' of the fuel pressure regulator to incresae the fueling to match the improved breathing of the head. You could do the same. You will need to increase the fuel pressure from 3 to 4 bar and fit beige injectors when you fit the cams, roller barrels and Emerald anyway.

Dave H.

Mad about S77ENS

I'd say doing this is bringing your engine at risk.

If it runns too lean at high revs you may burn your valves / pistons

If it runs rich you may wash off the oil film from the liners.

Would you dare taking the risk?

Niel,

I have an old 16 bit Emerald M3dk you can try/borrow/buy if thats any use?

Failing that you could fit a an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and take the car to a rolling road do a fuelling check under load. It should be possible to make some basic fuel adjustments by eithetr increasing or decreasing fuel pressure.

Rob

Neil, I tried running TB's on a standard Supersport ECU and it was a no go. The engine ran but under load it wouldn't pull. I did run a ported head (light porting) with good results but what you suggest is way beyond what the MEM's can cope with. I've just changed to 1800 and can't get the MEM's to cope with that ☹️

Gareth

Blue and Carbon 6 Speed 1.8 Supersport here