Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K clutch change

bobt

Hi,

I'll be lifting 16K SS engine from my superlight next weekend to make way for my new upgrade engine *smile*

I'll be replacing the spigot and CRB as a mater of cause but should I also change the clutch? The car has only seen 18,000 miles and exhibits no feeling of wear or slipping. Your thoughts? I'll only have the engine crane for the weekend so need to remove and replace in that time. I have the caterham 6 speed box, but how much is the clutch? Is caterham the cheapest/easiest place to source it from?

Cheers

Rob

Hi mav - you've been having fun *wink*

As there are a few Nos. posted in your threads could you confirm that it is these below:

Cover Assy. CP3748-6 Cover Assembly Details

Driven Plate CP2257-9

So how much did CC charge you for the friction plate in the end?

Cheers

Rob

Edited by - bobt on 26 Nov 2006 20:44:24

Hi,

Plate, CP 2257-9 is avaliable seperately from Burtons about £48. This an AP part used in many ford applications and not a caterham specific part.

Also avaliable to you K series boys ( I am 99% sure it will fit, it should do T9 release arm and above clutch) is a steel bodied competition CRB. I sourced this from the Squires Brothers. Be warned with this bearing it is very good but does transmit/makes alot of noise. Also fitting it is a bit of a pain as it's held on with a cir clip rather than spring tabs, you have to therefore remove the bell housing from the gearbox to install it.

Cheers

Chris

Bodt, it a case of suck it and see... that your current clutch is not slipping does not mean that it has not worn down some. Since you will need to remove if from your existing engine, when you make to switch, it will be obvious how close to the rivets you are.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

I had a ring around the local motor factors and most couldn't say if they had the clutch plate in stock by just using the AP part No. They need the Car, make model year blah blah blah. I quickly gave in and couldn't be ar$ed with the hasstle so called CC cars to checkout availability of parts.

All bits were in stock AND they'd sell me the friction plate on its own.

Very roughly from memory the cost is

Friction plate 68 quid

Spigot bearing 8 quid

Spigot sleave 7 quid

CRB hmm can't remember but less than 15

I deceided to buy from them in the end as its next day delivery and all parts comming from just one supplier. Job done *smile*

Thanks for the help chaps

Rob