Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre and Wheel Sizes

Mark Durrant

The purpose of the changes to the regs is to make sprinting attractive to more members of the club irrespective of what model car they own and to minimise costs. It has been suggested on a couple of the threads about limiting wheel and tyre sizes and I for one intend to use 6.5 with 185 on the fronts and 8.5 with 205 on the rears as I do not want my car endig up looking like the Ford Anglia in 'Carlos Fandango' trim (I think this was from the Hamlet advert *confused*)

What are your views on a limiting the wheel and tyre sizes as follows:

Front Maximum wheel width 7"

Maximum tyre width 195

Rear Maximum wheel width 8.5"

Maximum tyre width 205

These restrictions would apply to classes 1-5 only.

Please can we keep the contributions constructive *thumbup*

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark,

I think you'd have to allow 205 fronts as well The standard 16" wheels that I ran on for most of last year, and are factory option on quite a lot of cars are 205 all round....

I guess the idea is to prevent people having, or feeling they have, to go out and spend a load on new fatboy wheels.

Is there anyone who already has wider wheels who would have the cost of replacing them added to the cost of replacing ACBS?

*thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

but I would simply state "max 205 and other sizes are at Sec's discretion" this will encompass the michelin pile ups @ 195 mm and Stunners and the discretion bit will allow you to approve CSR's on their factory fit Cr500's in 235 rears ( which are rock hard anyway )

here is C7 TOP

South Wales AO *thumbup*

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 24 Nov 2006 09:10:55

*thumbup* Definitely a good idea mark, But if Kuhmo's are to be the tyre of choice for list 1b's then according to Simons thread they come in 215 width not 205.

Still think the idea would work in levelling the playing field a bit more and encouraging new sprinters. (Offered a mate a dual drive next year and hes very keen to join us. potential caterham owner and sprinter *tongue*)

Jeff

If you restrict tyres to 205 is this not a restriction on the higher powered class 5 cars. They will find it difficult to get the power down. It was proven by DJ that wide tyres can be an advantage.

CC current cars are

roadsport sigma engine 14" rims

superlight/R300 15" rims

CRS 15" rims

So no 13" rims as standard

so I can not see the point so a *thumbdown* from me.

David

Dave N

I think you have the wrong idea the restriction would be on tyre width not rim diameter.

205 wouldnt give any issues to deploying 240 bhp, class 4 cars were domig this previously on wood tyres.

205 width would keep things sensible and yes they would preclude he use of Kumho or any other tyre wider than 205 mm so we would all be in the same situation.

It would certainly cap any silly things developing and keep a perpective on road use *thumbup*.

non crossply max 205 tyre width *thumbup* *thumbup*

Dave

here is C7 TOP

South Wales AO *thumbup*

Personally my choice would be R888's in 205 rears and 175 fronts in kumho or 888 unless 48's come out in the spring in supersoft compound .

Or

Dunlop formula R's , which I think are radial *smile*

A new set of 15 inch rims wont change the fact that you can still only fit a maximum 205 section tyre *confused* so there is no point in buying new rims *confused* or am I missing something . 205's can be fitted on the 6" wide rims perfectly well or on the 8.5 " wide rims.

just stating max 205 width would be a lot simpler

here is C7 TOP

South Wales AO *thumbup*

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 24 Nov 2006 16:13:50

Mark said

The reason behind this is I do not want propspective sprinters being put off by the thought that they need to change there wheels, let alone tyres

If we keep to 15" rims then no one with a new 7 will be disadvantaged by not having 13". It will getmore new comers in as they willl not have to change the wheels.

as for 205 whats so magic about 205 over 215 i must be missing something???

David

I'm not sure.

I can see positives for both.

Limiting the size certainly levels the playing field. It will probably end up as a two tyre champs.

However it may be to prescriptive.

Personally if the Kumho's do turn out to be soft. I would have run 175 front and 215 rear just as Mark said not to look to silly. Perhaps we should not exclude any one manufacturer in limiting the width.

So uping the limit to 215 allows "sensible" widths in all manufacturers. 205 to 215 won't make much difference on the 8.5" rears anyway.

I see limiting the size to 205 as excluding Kumho which at £75 is a "cheap" tyre option for me.

Of course it may not be the tyre of choice anyway. Christ you can go round in circles writting your post yourself *confused*

So, Class 3 have to ditch their ACB 10s & are looking for the best radial for 2007. Kumho seems (at the moment) to be the obvious choice but only available in 205 section for 15 inch wheels. So if 205 limit reccomendation is accepted, Class 3 folk have to take a loss on their ACBs and fork out for new 15" wheels if they want to be front runners.

Surely I must have misunderstood!

Even if another tyre ends up being favourite, it can't make sense to exclude this option for 13" wheelers at this very early stage. I wait to be suitably corrected.

Mark

*thumbup*

Just 2 thoughts

As said earlier perhaps 215 is a reasonable cut off point

Perhaps the class 5 runners should be asked if they will need to purchase new wheels as well as tyres, would that be too big an ask as well as no ACB10s, if their front and possibly rear rims will be too wide, I remember reading Dave Jackson had 8" fronts but Dave seems happy with the change, not sure about others.

Martin