Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Advice for first time VX XE driver

Alba 7

Picked up my car (somewhat modified 1993 VX XE) last weekend and made my first foray into work this morning. I have a few questions / concerns that hopefully the wisdom of Blatchat can answer.

What sort of water temp / oil pressure should I be seeing on the Stack? On the open road water temp didn’t go any higher than 57 degrees (and that was after 20 minutes of driving – though it did go up to 79 once I got stuck in a queue) and oil pressure hovered around 65 – 69. Are these normal??

It has a straight cut box and makes the usual noises you associate with straight cut gears. However, in fifth gear the whine is positively deafening; I’m not sure if it is the box or the diff (possibly the latter as it seems to be coming from under my bum) is this something I should be concerned about?

Lastly, the car has a 22% rack and ACB10s. Admittedly the road was damp / greasy and rather lumpy in places but at times I only felt that I was partially in control of the steering. Do you get used to this rack / type combo on back roads or is it worth fitting the 21Rs I’ve got for country lane driving? Of course I may just a wus 😳, in which case do break it to me gently!!

Thanks for you help / advice,

Nick.

Edited by - Alba 7 on 13 Oct 2006 10:51:45

I have limited experience of a Vx on the road but for what its worth, these are my thoughts:

The temperatures and pressures quoted depends on the accuracy of the gauges. However, taking these on face value it would seem that you do not have a thermostat fitted. Temperatures like you quote are similar to I got driving my race car on the road (no thermostst). The oil pressure is a bit high if the original pressure releif valve is being used. Nominally this should be 60psi maximum.

On the road I hardy ever used fifth because it was so noisy. If I was to do more road driving I would swap the straight cut box for a helical.

As for the steering, I would look at the spring rates first as they can make a big difference to the feel of the car.

Barry

Barry / Peter, thanks, I hadn't thought about type pressures as well. What would be the recommended pressures for a VX with wide track on ACB10s?

Spring rates is something I know I must look at. Car in its previous life was used on track and has the shortest springs I've ever seen on a Caterham (4 inches between spring seats). Consequently ride height is a little on the low side - I've less than 43mm under the sump 😳. I know I need to get some longer springs ASAP to save me from doing a Steve Mell with the sump ☹️

You do get used to it but CR500's or 021's are MUCH nicer for road use. ACB10's do wander all over the place. With the 22 rack, it'll certainly command your attention! I'd fit more suitable tyres but you may want to adjust camber all round if you want to get the most out of them. I use CR500's on ACB settings and it's fine for the road.

Must be box if other gears ok. Diff would be noisy whatever the gear. On the quaife SC boxes, I kind of like the whine. Don't remember 5th being much louder than say 3rd though. 4th will be silent compared to 5th as the drive goes straight through the box.

Car does seem to be running cool. Maybe no stat as mentioned. You can roughly check the sensor by holding it in warm water with a capillary thermometer as a control.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 13 Oct 2006 12:22:10

Nick,

I'm in the same position as you, so can't claim any wider knowledge. I picked up my 1600K Supersport last Sunday; it has the 22% rack, Superlight suspension and is on 21s at 19lbs.

Despite never having driven anything like it on the roads I soon felt at home. It's obviously a bit nervous but inspires confidence.

Alan

Alex,

Think I should have said responsive rather than nervous. It certainly feels stable enough while almost responding to your thoughts rather than movement. Glad Tim (Neill) went for the 21s on the car. Good tyres for a beginner like me.

Alan

Thanks everyone for your input, it is really appreciated.

Took a different route home and on dryer tarmac and with fewer irregularites it was an easier drive (though never relaxing *biggrin*).

It looks like I'm definitely missing a stat as after 30 minutes of 50mph plus driving the water was only up to 59 degrees (if the guage is to be trusted). I recall a thread a while ago suggesting a very specific model engine to get it from (Calibra turbo or some such) can anyone confirm which one it is?

Tyres were if anything slightly under-inflated at 15 - 16 psi cold. Paul, Mark, Alex I see what you mean about ACB10s, they have an almost in built ability to follow the white line or the camber or a seam in tarmac or just about anything! By changing to the 21s I should get a wee bit more ground clearance as well.

Alex, I know what you mean about the sound of a straight cut box *thumbup* And with the air filter sticking through the bonnet, the exhaust note and the wind noise with an aeroscreen, once you get to 50 or so, it is just one huge symphony *smile* I reckon the box will have to have a check as it is only in fifth that the really intrusive whine occurs (Barry, staying in fourth was a far more pleasant way to travel 😬)

CanAm, I'm glad it isn't just me! I felt a bit more confident on the way home, so much so that I really tried the loud pedal 😳 😬 *smile* Oh my flippin' goodness....... I surprised myself and the woman in the people carrier look positively shocked at the speed with which I overtook her *thumbup*

I think I'm going to like this *wink*

Thanks again for all your help.

Nick.

Nick

I have a very similar setup to you and the box does whine in 5th. Get it on the track and give it a load of stick and the change is great and you dont notice the noise at all!

Bumpy country roads can be a handful on ACB10s, I adjusted the tracking a touch bringing in the toe out and it made a difference.

I have another set of rims with CR500s mainly for the road and keep the ACB10 for track days.

The CR500s loose you about 1cm in ground clearanve as they are slightly lower profile, so maybe think about Yoko 048s as they are the same profile as the ACB10s.

Enjoy!

Ian

(If you want to go faster, you will have to add lightness!)

For ACB10's you'll need a firm hand on the wheel, and a quick rack (in order to input steeing compensation).

If you pick your nose, driving with ACB10's will see you crash quite quickly. I have had the wheel yanked out of my hand a found myself on the wrong side of the road on more than one occaision. Scary. Not that I do pick my nose, that was purely an illustration as to why you might remove your hand from the wheel.

All the radials A021/A048 etc are good, I think the best compromise in wear rate/cost is the CR500.

K2RUM - The car of two halves with no engine

Just to add my two penny worth. As suggested before change tyres to a radial and get the suspension set up to allow from the switch from crossply. You may well have the wrong rear De dion ears on. I would suggest going to someone who knows Sevens and most of those guys will happily answer questions as well. One problem with a Seven is that it is just so good that a badly set up car is still better than most other things, so if you start with the car set up correctly for your requirements you have a proper base to start from and don't end up driving a car that is compromised and you don’t know. It also may have another problem like coil binding or such that an expert will spot straight away. Of course I would recommend Gary at Freestyle 01322 749054 but I am sure the site will give you many more ‘recommendations’ depending where about in the country you are. I agree with every body else almost certainly you have no thermostat as the Vauxhalls use to have insufficient radiator capacity when the car was driven hard for any amount of time. You can just experiment and blank a bit of the rad to help.

Edited by - Len Unwin on 20 Oct 2006 13:15:34

Len,

Thanks. It is highly unlikely that Gary would want to see this car again; I'm sure it has been the source of many nightmares for him (think you can probably guess which car it is).

I really need someone in the North (ideally in Scotland) to do the set up.

Cheers,

Nick.

I thought it had taken root at Gary's 😳 *biggrin*

Seemed a nice enough car though. As far as stats are concerned just whack a standard Calibra or 16V Astra one in. If the rest of your cooling system is OK that will be fine.

That's what I have in my 232bhp VX & it gets up to temp fairly quickly and cycles back & forth between 85 & 90 C happily.

I thought it had taken root at Gary's
You and me both 😳

On a thread last year Arnie did call it (referring to when the previous owner had it) a "dog" and to be honest he wasn't far off the mark. It had been raced and was looking rather unloved but Mick Attree has made a huge difference to it so that it now looks pretty presentable. The interior ali panels are a bit beaten up but will get replaced in the future.

I'll get myself off to the VX motor factors to get a stat.

Thanks.

Alba, It was the Pitts when Gareth owned it. 😳 😬 The Count and I looked at it in Crawley when it was for sale for £9K about 5 years ago. It was yellow then. It looked much better by the time it got rooted at Gary's.

K2RUM - The car of two halves with no engine