Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Altering a clamshell rack

Nemo

Just got my first Seven a 1990 de dion 1700 crossflow. It has clamshells which I'd like to change for cycle wings. Caterham parts told me I would also need to change the steering rack. I'd rather not go to the expense of a new rack and I don't want to go widetrack at this stage.

Is there a way to alter a clamshell steering rack to stop it fouling the cycle wings against the body of the car ?

TIA

I hope you're enjoying the ride....I am!

There are three RHD steering racks for post 74 cars, a silver 22% one part no 75605A

a black 8% one, 75615A,

and the widetrack rack is green, rated as 8% and part no.75608A

I'm surprised about needing to change it for fitting cyclewings though.

Your biggest problem will be filling in the holes left by the rivnuts, specially the ones behind the engine bay bulkhead, as the interior is double skinned, so you won't be able to put a little ally square inside the outer skin to hold the filler.

I think Caterham recommend reskinning the car!

The trouble is, if you remove the inner skins to get at the outer panel's inner face, you end up with hundreds of rivet parts swilling around in the spaceframe.

CC's answer to this?

Spray some sprayglue into the spaceframe tubes......... *eek*

Blackout!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Edited by - Unclefester on 20 Sep 2006 18:32:11

Ozzy

Being a first timer I bought the car because it was generally in very good for its age and it suited my budget. It's a shame it had clamshells(not that I dislike them that much) but as with buying anything secondhand it had to be a compromise. I'd always resolved to change to cycle wings if I happened to buy one with clams and I thought it could be sensibly done.In fact I managed to get the seller to further reduce the final price to cover the cost of the cycle wings and associated bits (but not the steering rack I didn't know I'd need to change/alter that at the time) *confused*

But all this is academic for the moment because tonight I seriously damaged the sump, bellhousing and God knows what else on a stone some b**tard left (or put) in the road. ☹️ Only had the bloody thing since Sunday ☹️ Just got back from getting the car towed in so I'm a bit p*ssed off to say the least.

Good grief!

That's really bad luck KAP.

With luck it won't be too serious if it was 'just' a stone, and not a hunk of local authority iron like the projecting manhole Harryflatters encountered one night recently, which was attached to the ground and immoveable.

By the way, Darren at Caterhams has just emailed me an update on the rack situation.

What I quoted in the last post was what is printed in my recent (and supposedly current I assumed) Caterham deDion catalogue, ordered this summer, so I assumed it was up to date.

Here's what he sent today.....

>

😬

Blackout!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

As far as I know the only difference between the clams rack and the cyclewing rack is the range of movement.

You dont HAVE to change it

There will be an issue with the rear of the cyclewing being able to hit the body but I have round that the front of the cyclewing is hitting the headlight so you never reach that point.

Nick

Sorry to hear of your mishap KAP. I sort of know how you feel, as mines been off the road for the last 6 weeks, as a pistons blown. Not quite the same I suppose, although I have lost 2 wheels so far, thanks to the local authority's inability to repair roads.

Hope it's not too bad.

Oz.

Still Shaking

6 speed 1600k Supersport

Thanks for all your sympathy chaps. *thumbup*

I'm hopeful insurance should cover the damage.[:)

] Heard late yesterday that the bellhousing is only chipped not cracked. Just a new sump (purpose made,as apparently Caterham no longer supply them) and replacement engine mountings required.I stopped the engine within thirty seconds of the collision with the stone and the oil didn't flood out until I stopped so hopefully no internal engine damage.

Hopefully I'll get her back soon. 😬

The pre-94 racks were based on a lhd Austin Metro unit and were available in cycle and flared wing versions. The only difference between these was that the cycle wing version had a nylon lock-limiting spacer fitted to each end of the rack. Post 94, Caterham supplied a purpose-made rack manufactured by Titan and these are only available with the restricted cycle wing travel.

You can fit spacers to your early rack - I made some steel spacers (about 1/2" thick) for mine years ago. You will have to remove the track rods from each end of the rack to fit the spacers so a bit of a fiddle to do. I reckon that the Metro racks are a better engineered unit than the Titan ones although they are only available in the slow (0%) version, whereas the faster (8% & 22%) Titan racks are nicer for track use.

Stay with the clams for god sake - the car will be worth more (just look at the cycle winged cars that do not sell *tongue*) and you will be a cooler dude for it 😬 😬 😬 *wink*

Dave Ardley. White Xflow with Clams

Don't point that beard at me, it might go off.

Groucho Marx

Updated photos here

• 3 months later...

NickD

I know my post was some time ago but I have now removed the clams and (nearly) finished installing cycle wings. As expected one of the stays fouls the bodywork on the nearside. I guess when I bolt on the wings themselves the offside will foul as well.

What did you make your spacers from, Nick? You don't happen to have any pictures of the spacers/track rods showing what you did, do you?

I hope you're enjoying the ride....I am! 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

Hi Kap

Sorry to hear of sump damage *confused*

I damaged mine a couple of months ago. Luckily, just took it off and got it brazed. No internal damage but sounds as if you hit yours pretty hard if the engine mounts are broken *eek*

I got a quote from Redline and im sure they were much cheaper than the Burton one. About £100 i think.

As for the wings, I also changed my 1990 xflow to cycles. I didnt worry about them touching body on full lock as mines a bare ally body and therefore dosnt really leave any marks on it. Only slightly marks the edge of wings. Dont find it a hinderance in any way now im used to the slightly restricted lock and you only notice this when doing a three point turn.

Hope you get it sorted soon *thumbup*

Cheers

Greg

Blat happy chappy..

Greg

Thanks for your comments on sump damage. That was sorted back in September.I didn't actually damage the engine mounts it was just a precaution that they were replaced. They needed doing anyway.

I'm extra wary of anything I see in the road now.

My car's sideskins are painted so it is possible they will get marked by the wings. I'll find out when I drive it again, I suppose. I'd like to restrict the lock if it's not too tricky to do rather than leave it or change the rack.

I hope you're enjoying the ride....I am! 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

KAP,

If you need a sump, specialized engines in essex are worth a call. (on the web for number) Ask for Ian, he is more than helpful, and may well have something lying around he will sell.

By the way I have the original clam rack in mine, and with cycle wings on it only fouls slightly on full lock, never been a problem, and the MOT man does not give a damn.

Get In , Sit Down, Shut Up, Hang On. :-)