Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT Fail

andy oliver

My 2000 1.8 VHPD K failed the MOT on emissions. It was running the factory MEMS ECU and a catalyst - the same set up as when it was SVAd. It failed on CO2. It normally runs on an Emerald ECU tuned by Dave Walker but wont pass like this even with the catalyst. Would it be possible to run a program in the Emerald that would be well under the CO2 limit at the 2500 - 3000 rpm required, it wouldn't matter if it was hardly driveable as it only has to get to the MOT station and back. For the record the MEMS wouldn't allow the engine to run with no load at 3000rpm, from tickover any throttle at all sent it over 3000. Any suggestions welcome as I'm stumped .

Many thanks

Is the MEMS picking up all the sensors correctly? I know a VHPD is a rather different beast to my standard k-series, but I can hold any revs without load, as proved when refitting shift lights last night.

If one sensor is off reading, for instance the throttle pot isn't picking up, it might explain the problem.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

see here - UPDATED

Can you not hook up a laptop to the Emerald and lean out the fuel at the appropriate point on the Live Adjustments screen, while the test is taking place ?

Ok, I was beaten to it... *smile*

Might also be worth driving it on the resulting setting afterwards; you might not notice any difference... If it was anything like my plenummed K, only load site 1 was affected...

Edited by - Nick Green on 7 Sep 2006 15:48:32

The MOT does not test for CO2 only CO at natural idle and CO & HC at fast idle 2500-3000 with an Emerald it's easy to adjust to get way under these limits with the most potent K.

If base idle CO is a problem try advancing the ignition, this will cause a partial misfire, and as CO is a buy product of full combustion it will fall. ie no combustion + no CO, HC however will increase but this is not tested on natural idle.

Fast idle is not usually a problem providing the tester warms the cat correctly, I found my cat cools very quickly when performing these tests for the SVA, anything over 25 seconds and the emisiions start to deteriorate, warm it up again and all's well.

Hope this helps

cheers *smile*

normally runs on an Emerald ECU tuned by Dave Walker but wont pass like this even with the catalyst.

As others have suggested - 'just' tweak the map.

I doubt that there is a ready-made map out there that you can rely on - what I had to do (180bhp 1.8 on TBs) was take my laptop along. The MOT tester was really impressed and let me sit there and tweak the fueling (all that it needed at two sites) while he held the engine at slow and fast idle.

The tester even dug out his soldering iron for me when I broke one of the connections on the hard-wired data cable... *smile*

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7's Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I have a VHPD on Emerald, Jenveys etc. Dave mapped it and tweaked the map at the fast idle point with this in mind and it passed fine with no live adjustments. I have done that in past though. I think this is often a bit car specific so my map might not quite do it for you.

That's interesting Jimmy, any chance you could e - mail me your map anyway as it's probably a good starting point. I assume you have to fit a catalyst as well. For the record I e-mailed Dave Walker and got a very prompt and helpful reply with very similar suggestions to those above.

( I particularly like V500SVs idea but I suppose I should try it the legit way!)

Many thanks again to all for the advice.

Andy

Edited by - andy oliver on 8 Sep 2006 13:22:39

Edited by - andy oliver on 8 Sep 2006 13:23:36