Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front lower Nosecone screws alternative? "Dzus"

anthonym

Is there a solution besides the nosecone screws for securing it? Like butterfly nosecone screws, or something? Constantly grovelling on ground is getting a bit much, in all weathers as I have to keep checking water pending leak being fixed.

Anthony, not your average gypsy.

Edited by - anthonym on 20 Aug 2006 13:50:31

Edited by - anthonym on 21 Aug 2006 17:10:43

I gave up early on in my ownership - the bottom fasteners kept rattling-free. I suppose I should have tried to resolve the issue, but the nose never threatened to make a bid for freedom with the upper two in place (and the bonnet as an extra clamp).

The newer noses wrap underneath the lower mounting plates (rather than sitting on top of them) and IMHO the fasteners are a complete waste of time in this configuration.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

On the newer style fibrglass nosecones (the ones that cover the front lower wishbone bolts), the nose makes a horrible rattle if it is not fastened at the bottom... They are a bitch to get to though, so a better solution would be welcome *thumbup*

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 10000 miles completed!

• Area Representative

Used to use a washer to undo the dzus fasteners. Decided to solder a washer in permanently. Much easier, but had to take off the dzus fasters to do it and then re rivet them on, but well worth it.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

My 05 spec car has wingnut dzus on the lower fixings as standard, they're a much smaller diameter than the old ones though, as I found when I ordered some replacements and got the wrong ones.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

see here - UPDATED

I have a stubby screwdriver bought and kept in the car for the purpose, the problem is I cannot see the slot without looking, that means eyes to ground level, hence the "grovel", and putting them back in is even worse as I can't do it by feel alone with my fingers. Also when it's dark or low light I can't see anyway even if I look.

Anthony, not your average gypsy.

*confused* erm - you tighten them fairly tight, they don't tighten up any more *thumbup*

You may need a few trial and error sesions to get the right position of cable ties - listen out for creaking fibre glass

BE CAREFULL - not to scratch the headlights with the top nose dzus fasteners - as the nose will hinge quite far forward (note small headlamps fitted)

Well as an alternative the HEX is interesting at least it would allow you to twist the allen key to locate it on the spring.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.