Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear brake pad replacement

RogNeedham

• Leadership Team

having done a quick 'search' on Techtalk - I understand that I need the Caterham 'blue spot' pads to replace the original Lucas pads that appear to have now reached the end of their natural.

Is there an aftermarket equivalent (ie who makes the Blue Spot for CC as the OE supplier)

..or should I go for the Mintex1144 which seem to get a good write up 🤔

Rog

Rog the use that you put the car to will determin the sort of material that you should go for. Similarly what is your front set up and what friction material do you have in there at the moment.

Most of the braking on a light car like the 7 will be done at the front. What you dont want is a more aggressive material at the back than the front that may result in the rears locking up before the fronts *eek*

1144 are old technology now. There are lots of pad material that will be better than the 1144 but your choice will be dictated by the cars use.

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬 here

• Leadership Team

thanks guys

the set up is as when I bought the car. It's got the big brake upgrade at the front (as fitted new in 1991). The fronts have the same pads as the rear but have plenty of wear left.

Since then I've upgraded the engine to 190hp xflow and the brakes haven't proved to be a problem

So far the feel has felt fine both on and off track. Mainly road use with c.3-5 track days per year

Rog *thumbup*

The 'blue dot' are the std pad supplied by ford if you go to the ford counter and ask for pads for a Scorpio.

I changed to mintex 1144's on the rears and like the balance, with my Big fornt set up (std caterham big fronts that is).

Part number for the mintex is MDB1287M1144...

• Leadership Team

Thanks again

Mav -slight correction.....the guy who originally specced the engine presented the blank cheque. He sells engine to someone else who in turn sells engine to me. I've got an idea of the original price.........and I don't have that sort of dosh *eek*.

dannylt - all steel, 1800, 264 kent cam, nifty bit of head work etc (the abridged version)

I'll give the Mintex a whirl on the back

Rog *thumbup*