Click here if you are having website access problems ×

sump foam

Fathead

Caterham must have decided originally to fit the foam for a good reason, not just because it looked good. Were there problems with the first K's fitted due to windage?

Is the problem with windage that the oil is splashed away from the shallow pickup or does it become aerated which an Appollo would help cure?

David

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the problem with windage that the oil is splashed away from the shallow pickup or does it become aerated which an Appollo would help cure?

The face of the pickup should always be submerged. The windage issue is due to the close proximity of the crank to the surface of the oil - if you really overdo the oil top-up, the crank can splash through the surface...

The Apollo will help remove air from the oil - but it doesn't do much (if anything - I suspect the latter) for surge issues - this is where the infamous Hellier baffle was supposed to come up trumps. FWIW (and to state it succinctly), the Hellier baffle does not live up to the original test results in my car. I have experienced low OP on hard cornering on the road and track.

Next time my sump is off, I will try the Oily gasket mods - and leave the Hellier baffle in so that I'm not changing two variables at once.

FWIW, with no foam fitted (but with an Apollo), I don't get any noticeable windage issues.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Well, my foam is out and has not broken up or anything but it's not going back.

I am thinking of doing a mod to Oily's gasket mod. The thought is to put the holes in the gasket as per Oily's idea and then fix a flexible flap on the underside of the gasket below the holes to act as a one-way valve so that oil can drain down through the extra holes into the sump but during cornering can't flow up through the holes. Possibly a minor effect but could be worth the effort. Of course I need to find a suitable material to make the flap out of that won't degrade in the sump!!

Colin

My foam came out last night after a tad under 10k, and was in one piece but pretty crispy round the edges and starting to flake.

I put it all back together without foam.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

see here - UPDATED

Cos it's right next to the axle stand, plus I had to run to Halfords to get a big enough hex drive for the plug so the oil was fully cold in it. Made a lovely mess holding a funnel under the apollo while 2 litres of cold oil glugged its way into the catch tank.

Next time car will be put on ramps not axle stands.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

see here - UPDATED