Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Air-conditioning in a 7?

Ian Barkley

What with hot footwells et al and a heater system which never fully turns off the hot water.

I was wondering if I bypassed the heater with a short piece of heater hose and possibly put ice cubes in the space above the heater matrix, with the blower on full on... would this make hot weather running a delight?

There could be the bonus of cold water dripping into the footwell!

Ian

Ian, you don't need air con, just open the sunroof and windows.

On a serious note if you can be bothered, remove the engine and gearbox and apply Cooltape* to the bulkhead and tunnel. Kill 99% of all known ger.. er, heat.

* Available from DT but expensive. I used 2" wide roll. It is so good that in winter don't even get a bit warm - so I freeze.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Not really time to strip out the engine etc Norman, with work getting in the way. Setting off to France in a couple of weeks... I'll have a fiddle with the valve first and see if I can turn if off more fully. [still like the idea of the ice cubes!]

Next problem is the starter not turning over when its hot... wires... solonoid...relay...

Do you think it'll be warm in Provance and the Loire Vally in the next few week?

Ian

We'll have a look at it when you're here. Best thing to do pro-temp is to move heater hose from front and join it to the outlet in the head thereby cutting out the heater.

It's very warm at the moment. Everyday has cloudless, deep blue sky and tempratures are well into 30's by mid afternoon. Not sure how long it'll last but on the basis we had crap weather earlier in the year I'm hoping it's here till October.

Forever an optimist

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited

Ian,

If removing the cable allows the valve to close further it sounds as if it's simply a case of adjusting the cable in it's clamp.

When I rebuilt my car I had the heater constantly churning out heat with the valve supposedly closed .. until it dawned on me that I'd clamped the cable incorrectly and thus was preventing full closure. A 5 minute job to rectify *thumbup*

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬